Thursday, October 25, 2007

Calzones

Calzones

These were so easy and fun. We used to make pizza every Friday night until we found out Diva had a mild wheat allergy, but her skin has cleared up and she's not had any food allergy issues as of late so I am slowly introducing gluten and wheat back into her diet. I made two batches of dough in the bread maker while I prepped vegetables, meats, shredded chicken for the enchiladas and made the sauce for the lasagna.
We had our friends over for dinner. Everyone assembled their own. I gave Diva some dough to roll out with her little rolling pin. Piglet got pretzels to eat because she was trying to eat the dough. I love having the girls in the kitchen with me!




Dough
2 LB Basic Pizza dough recipe (2 thick or 4 thin crusts)
1 2/3 cup Warm water
2 TBS Oil (I used Olive)
2 TBS Sugar (I use evaporated cane juice)
2 Tsp Salt
2 TBS Dry milk
4 1/2 cups Bread flour
2 Tsp Active dry yeast
Italian seasoning (I added this, it isn't part of the basic recipe)

Fillings
Anything you want.
Vegetables
Fruit
Meats
Cheeses
Spices
Herbs

Egg, beaten with 2 tablespoons of water to brush on top of calzones before baking.

For the pizza dough add all the ingredients as listed and select pizza dough cycle on your machine.

Here are Prepped ingredients for everyone to fill their own calzones. I did roll out disks of dough for everyone. There was a tiny bit of lasagna sauce left, so for dipping I just opened a jar of spaghetti sauce.
Other great fillings any vegetables- spinach, zucchini, ham, feta or goats cheese, just about anything.
Roll out the dough, fill with fillings....
Crimp the edges with a fork, don't over fill. I crimped some edges and rolled some edges.
Put a small slit on top to vent the calzone.
These are on my pizza stone, with egg wash on them.
Bake at 425 degrees for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
I ended up with leftover dough so this afternoon I made some tiny calzones to freeze for lunches later.
DH likes just cheese, Italian seasoning, sea salt and a little olive oil in his.
I put ricotta, all the veggies, sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella, and sea salt in mine.
The girls ate with me.
Chelle filled one for her and one for her DH. She also bought a yummy salad to round out dinner. DH made cherry vanilla ice cream , we also had a pumpkin roll and nutmeg whipped cream. We played scrabble and watched Transformers after dinner. It was a fun night.


Calzones

2 LB Basic Pizza dough recipe (2 thick or 4 thin crusts)
1 2/3 cup Warm water
2 TBS Olive oil
2 TBS Sugar (I use evaporated cane juice)
2 Tsp Salt
2 TBS Dry milk powder
4 1/2 cups Bread flour
2 Tsp Active dry yeast
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

For the dough add all the ingredients as listed and select pizza dough cycle on your machine, or follow the instructions for your machine.
Roll out the dough into disks and fill with fillings.
Crimp the edges with a fork, don't over fill. I crimped some edges and rolled some edges.
Put a small slit on top to vent during baking.
These are on my pizza stone, with egg wash on them.
Bake at 425 degrees for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
I ended up with leftover dough so this afternoon I made some tiny calzones to freeze for lunches later.
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I have an old family calzone recipe but you eat super healthy stuff, LOL!

    Ours uses provolone, sopressata or capicola (you need some of the hot and some of the sweet variety of either) and some Genoa salami. The shape is a little different as you make it a long squared loaf that you cut slices off of when it is done. The only veggie in it is when a little spinach is used to keep it moist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! How do you make the dough???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah there's a link for pizza dough up there :)

      Delete
  3. I'd like to try making some of these for the freezer. Did you pre-bake the calzones that you froze? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there I do prebake them so that Ican pull them out frozen and by lunch time they are thawed

      Delete
    2. Perfect! That's so convenient. Thanks!

      Delete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.