Sunday, August 3, 2008

Fajita Seasoning


Fajita Seasoning

I admit the problem with me is sometimes I don't measure things, but hey I try to remember to do so. This is a good substitute for fajita seasoning packets you buy at the store, less sodium and no MSG. It tastes way better, and I suspect it's cheaper too.
Get your kids in the kitchen to help mix and measure if they are old enough!

Give Peas A Chance Fajita Seasoning

3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed oregano
salt
black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 crushed cubes of chicken bouillon- optional, I don't use this anymore because of the MSG in it
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
3 teaspoons paprika, smoked is yummy
2 tablespoons salt free chile powder, or ancho chile powder

Mix it all up.


To make the fajitas-

4 chicken breasts (or skirt steak)- some people cut it into strips I don't
1/4 cup fresh lime juice or 1/4 cup orange juice
fresh chopped cilantro
1 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 or more tablespoons of seasoning to taste

sliced bell peppers, onions, and if you want mushrooms

Mix all ingredients in a zip top bag except the vegetables. Let it marinate for about 30 minutes or all day in the refrigerator. You can either grill the meat or prepare in a skillet. I prefer to broil on high. Heat the broiler pan in the oven until it's smoking then add the meat on one side and the vegetables on the other side, if you prefer crisp vegetables add them later. Broil the meat and vegetables until they have color then flip them over, by this time the marinade will be under the vegetables so you can toss the vegetables in it. Let the meat rest before you slice it.

We like our fajitas with tortillas, fresh salsa, fresh guacamole, chopped cilantro, sour cream, cheese and a wedge of lime. I also made refried beans and rice tonight.




Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.