Sunday, August 3, 2008

Deviled Chicken



I found this recipe in this month's Gourmet Magazine. The method is great, and I will continue to use it and tweak the flavors more to our liking. 
This chicken is good cold, warm, or hot. And it's easy to make.

Deviled Chicken
8-10 bone-in, skin-on drumsticks or chicken thighs (if you use breasts cut them in half for faster cooking)
3/4 cup mustard- Dijon, spicy brown, your preference
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
ground cayenne pepper
salt
ground black pepper
1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3 tablespoons butter, melted

  1. Preheat oven to 450*F.
  2. Rinse chicken pieces and pat with a paper towel. Place them in a large bowl, toss with mustard to coat.
  3. Mix the bread crumbs and seasonings together in a separate bowl or pie plate. Drizzle with melted butter and mix together.
  4. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet, big enough to hold all the chicken so that it isn't touching.
  5. Dredge the chicken pieces in the panko mixture and coat them well. Place them skin side up on the baking sheet. 
  6. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is done. These do not need to be flipped when cooking.
Now, what I would do differently next time-
  1. Substitute the mustard for a buttermilk soak; the mustard was too strong, but I guess that's why it's called Deviled Chicken.
  2. Season the panko depending on my mood and tastes.
  3. Instead of a greased rimmed baking sheet, I am going to place a baking rack into the baking sheet so that any grease will drip down onto the pan and the chicken won't sit in it.  I used a jelly roll pan
  4. I will try drumsticks and breasts next time; the thighs were a bit too greasy.
  5. This is a great method and really a great recipe if you like the flavors. The chicken was moist and crispy, no frying required.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.