Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hollandaise sauce

Hollandaise sauce, YUMMY. I love this stuff on broccoli and asparagus. I made it tonight to put on top of roasted asparagus. This is an easy sauce to make, trust me I had a clingy/sick/teething one year old that wanted to be held a lot. I only put her down for the steps that required heat, ok that and separating the eggs.
I served the asparagus with our "Gourmet" dinner tonight.


1/2 cup butter
3 large egg yolks
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon of salt
Dash of hot sauce or cayenne pepper
2 Tablespoons hot water
Parsley for garnish if you want and if you don't have a baby in your arms.



Heat your butter in a small pot until foamy, do not brown. (At this point I took it off the heat and set it aside because we got a call from DH!!! YAY!)






OK moving on, I didn't measure the rest of the recipe, like I said sick toddler, who has the time or extra arm?
In a small bowl add your egg yolks, then for the lemon juice I place it in a sieve,







and squeezed it over the bowl, I think it was about the right amount, I didn't want to fish out seeds so I used the sieve.





Add some salt









Add a dash of hot sauce. Whisk it up...







Gradually whisk in your butter, it's easier to do this if you put the toddler down for a bit.








Whisk it good, then add your hot water, I just poured some in from my kettle. as you can see, maybe... not a good picture.









I added some ground peppercorns...






Return the sauce to your pot, and over low heat whisk until the sauce is thick, don't let it scramble on you!






It should get a bit lighter, I am unsure you can tell from this picture.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.