Sunday, May 17, 2020

Khao Piek Sen (Bánh Canh Noodles)

I am so happy with this recipe. I saw it shared on a Facebook page for noodle making. I changed the weights and ratios a bit to our liking. The original recipe calls for a total of 5 kneading cycles. and two longer rest preiods, and often I just don't have time for that. It doesn't matter I'm thankful she posted the recipe. Traditionally these noodles don't have potato starch or Xanthan Gum. I find that both give this noodle great texture.  The noodles are chewy and hold their shape well. I used weights for everything in this recipe, even the water is by weight/grams. I find it is more accurate.




This is what the texture of your dough should look like. 
I used the Udon disc from Phillips for these.
These can be served in a broth or used in a Stir Fry after you cook and drain them.
 My other Khao Piek Sen recipe is a little more traditional you can find it HERE. It's a great recipe, but a takes a little guessing as to how much water you need.
For the handmade, hand cut version that's traditional go to this page here.

Khao Piek Sen (Bánh Canh Noodles)

370 grams Tapioca starch
150 grams Potato starch 
80 grams Rice flour
10 grams Xanthan Gum
8 grams salt
10 ml olive oil (2 teaspoons) 
330 grams of boiling hot water, (350 ml)
  1. Place all of the dry ingredients into the machine.
  2. Select the 600 gram setting and press start. Let the machine run until it starts to extrude and turn it off.
  3. Add the oil to the hot water. 
  4. Turn the machine back on and select the 600 gram setting. Slowly add the water as you would to make pasta. Let the machine knead the dough and then turn it off before it starts to extrude the noodles.
  5. Scrape down the sides of the machine. Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Turn the machine on as before and let it run another knead cycle. 
  7. Turn on the machine as before and let it run a full knead and extrusion cycle.
  8. Bring water to a boil to cook the noodles. Add the noodles and bring to a gentle boil. 
  9. Drain the water from the noodles and serve them with your favorite broth, or rinse with cold water and make a Udon Noodle Stir Fry with them.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees)
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.