Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Tiffins- Animal Kingdom


Tiffins is a table service restaurant on property at Disney World's Animal Kingdom. We had lunch there during our visit and it was one of our favorite meals.
Tiffins are the stackable lunch containers you see on top of the restaurant's sign in the photo above. I've posted some school lunches packed in these stackable metal containers here on my blog also. In some parts of India Tiffin can also refer to a light snack or midday meal. The name is fitting since the restaurant serves dishes that are inspired by travel throughout Europe, Africa, Asia, and the America's all of which was themes found throughout the Animal Kingdom.  It's a beautiful restaurant and I am so glad we didn't overlook it.



 As I said the restaurant itself is beautiful. The decor reflected so many cultures and regions of the world. My middle was telling me that the carving above the door was made by a Polynesian family that also carved the Totem poles that were near the table we were seated at. I would miss so much if it weren't for the fact that my kids point things like this out to me. The displays on the walls were so breathtaking. All different and thought out.


Tiffins is considered a signature restaurant for Disney. It truly lives up to that dinning experience. From the service, to the atmosphere, plating of the food, to the quality and flavors. I don't think Tiffins gets as much traffic as the other signature restaurants and it's a shame. I don't know if it's because the menu doesn't reflect a typical steak and potatoes type of meal or what the deal is. Tiffins might not be for very picky eaters, but I think there is something for everyone to be found there.  I even took a peek at the kid's menu and it looked great, though there are no chicken fingers and fries on it.


  All of my food pictures with the exception of when we sat by a window are going to be this dark. It is what it is. I apologize but I wasn't going to use flash or have someone use their phone light for photos. You kind of get some idea of what the food looked like though.


Balineze Breeze
Mountain Berry Tea, Simple Syrup, Lemon Juice

Hibiscus Henna
Watermelon, Hibiscus, Soda Water, Lime Juice

Zingiber Fizzie
Passion Fruit Purée, Mint, Ginger Beer, Lime Juice



Annapurna Zing
Bombay Sapphire East Gin, Passion Fruit Purée, Mint, Lime Juice, Ginger Beer

This was my drink, without the Gin. It was very good.


Tiffins Signature Bread Service
Indian-spiced Tomato Chutney, Spicy Coriander Yogurt, Fig Tapenade

This bread service had so many flavors and textures from crispy cracker like flat bread to soft chewy paratha. I like the Spicy Coriander sauce the best. It has some heat but it passes quick. The breads were pretty good, flavorful and interesting. My youngest child ordered this appetizer. It doesn't come as a complimentary bread service.


Duo of Appetizers
Charred Octopus, Spiced Chickpea Falafel

My oldest child ordered this and she enjoyed it very much. The octopus was really good. So tender. 


Charred Octopus
Romesco Sauce, Olive Tapenade, Chorizo, Squid Ink Aïoli

I ordered this appetizer and again that octopus was so tender and each of the components on the plate complimented it. I was iffy about the Squid Ink but it wasn't really a distinct flavor.


Taco
Plant-based Tinga, Avocado, Plant-based Cheese, Corn Tortilla

My middle child ordered this. We couldn't believe it was plant-based. It was so good and flavorful. It tasted like a well seasoned beef. She said she would go vegetarian if all the meat substitutes were that good.


Avocado and Tomato Salad
Artisanal Greens, Roasted Sweet Corn, Queso Fresco, Buttermilk Dressing

I don't remember trying this dish. I do know that everything on it but the greens was eaten by my family. I think the greens were a bit too bitter.


Surf and Turf
South African Braai Spiced Beef Tenderloin, Seared Scallops, Potato Pave,Grilled Vegetables, Maitake Mushrooms, Dhania Butter, Cola Demi-Glace

So. Surf and Turf. We ordered four of these. Tiffins used to have Wagyu beef and lobster as a surf and turf but this has replaced it on the menu. It is amazing. The beef was cooked perfectly, it was tender. The scallops that a beautiful crust from the sear.  The Potato Pave was something I never knew I needed in my life until then. They were pretty rectangles of thinly sliced potatoes that were SO GOOD. Like scalloped potatoes but 1000 times better.


Whole-fried Sustainable Fish
Fermented Black Bean Sauce, Thai Green Papaya Slaw, Peanuts

My youngest ordered the fried fish. We had it without peanuts so my oldest could try it. She (my youngest) ate over half of this fish, and we ate the rest. A must try. It's so simple but done so well. Crispy on the outside, flaky but not dry on the inside.  The Forbidden rice was good, I think the sauce was more of a curry maybe? It was creamy and rich. Not black bean though. I didn't taste any fermented black bean sauce, and I like it so maybe the chef left it off due to an ingredient we didn't want at the table or something. The Thai Green Papaya Slaw, wasn't anything like Som Tom as it's listed on the menu at the restaurant. There is no heat, no fish sauce, it really is more of a slaw tossed in maybe rice wine vinegar dressing. It was good but not Som Tom. My youngest has said that this was the best fish ever.


 Order. This. Fish. So. Worth. It.


More pretty Surf and Turf plates.



Our waiter gave us a bit of Pixie dust with some fun Shirley Temples. I love Disney.


Halo-Halo
Sweet Potato Ice Cream, Jack Fruit, Raspberry-Ginger Beer Sorbet, Condensed Milk Ice Cream, Coconut Crumble, Lime Pâte de Fruit

Dessert time! Halo-Halo. One of my favorite desserts, top three of all the table service desserts we had. We ordered two of these. I didn't want to share. I wanted more. Both of the ice creams were amazing, neither were overly sweet. The sorbet was just the right amount of tartness with that cleansing ginger at the end.  I kid you not, this was that good.
You can find photos of those plated and it's very pretty. We took all of our desserts to go after our meal because we had a show to get to. So these were in a coffee cup. Our waiter was hesitant to serve them to us in a cup. We assured him that we didn't mind it all scooped in there.
Side note, I have had Halo-Halo for most of my life. Often times I don't like all the elements thrown in there. Sweet beans? No thanks. Preserved fruits? Iffy. I liked the simplicity and all the flavors in Tiffins version. 


South American Chocolate Ganache
Caramelized Banana, Cocoa Nib Tuile

My younger two children ordered this dessert. It was chocolaty, not dry, very good. IT was no Halo-Halo though.


The Lion King
Caramel Mousse, Chocolate Brownie, Strawberry-Mango Sauce

I didn't get a bite of this but isn't it pretty? It must have been good because it was inhaled.

Allergy friendly
Disney Dining Plan

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.