Saturday, August 31, 2019

Butterfly Blush- Color Changing Sushies


Hello everyone! Sorry I've been so absent. I hope you are all doing well! My youngest recently had a birthday party and I wanted to serve something fun to go along with the roll your own spring roll bar we had. I thought about having a bubble tea/boba tea bar but I wasn't sure which flavors to offer and such. Looking in my tea cabinet I saw my jar of Butterfly pea flowers. I make tea with them and cook with them quite a bit. I though they would be fun to use.
Butterfly pea flowers have a very mild flavor, they aren't strong at all so they are ideal for coloring all sorts of foods and drinks without over powering or changing flavors. I use whole dried flowers, but powder form is also easily found.
The butterfly pea flower steeps to make a deep dark blue tea. It's very pretty, the fun thing is adding an acid changes the color to a beautiful violet. It's fun to watch so I though it would be fun for the kids. The acid we used was lemon, you could use anything from lime, orange, to pineapple etc.  Even vinegar! All the fun with no artificial coloring!

My daughter and I weren't sure what to call this pretty drink  that's so simple it has three ingredients. Basically it's lemonade with lychee popping bubbles, some names we thought that might fit were:
Indigo Blush Slush
Mermaid Slush 
Ocean Blush (fitting with the pearls on top don't you think?)
Unicorn Dreams Slush (are unicorn things still all the rage?)
We went with the butterfly because of the flowers in it.
What do you think a great name would be?

For the popping bubbles I purchased them at the local Asian market, you can also get them online. I also have regular lychee flavored boba, that's dry in the pantry. I had thought about boiling them with butterfly pea flowers but I didn't have time. They would have been pretty.

I've posted about this flower and how I've used it before, here are some links:
If you have the dry boba here is my Instant Pot method for cooking those:
Here are some drink recipes that would work great with this syrup to make this drink.

Butterfly Blush Slushies

Lemonade (store bought or homemade)
Ice
Butterfly pea syrup
Lychee popping boba
  1. Blend two parts lemonade with three parts ice until you get the consistency you like. This works better if of the slush is a bit thicker.
  2. Pour the butterfly pea syrup into the bottom of the glass.
  3. Scoop the slush gently over the syrup.
  4. Add some boba on top.
  5.  Serve immediately.
The color change will be instant, but not completely until the drink stirred.
I didn't add the bobone to the bottom of the cup because they have citric acid in them.

Butterfly pea syrup

(1:1 ratio of water to sugar)
Granulated sugar 
Water
1/4 cup butterfly pea flowers, more for deeper color 
  1. Stir the water, sugar, and flowers in a pot.
  2. Heat until the mixture is starting to boil.
  3. Turn down the heat, simmer for ten minutes.
  4. Let cool, strain syrup and discard flowers.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.