Thursday, April 27, 2017

Coconut Pandan Sponge Cake


If you ask me what my favorite cake is my answer would probably be this Coconut Pandan Sponge cake, Chinese bakery vanilla sponge cake, Chocolate cake... I like other cakes a whole lot, like Hummingbird cake, and Whole Wheat Carrot cake. I think this Coconut Pandan is top 2, top three at the least.  I got this recipe from a sweet girl on Instagram. I changed the flavors to what we like. It's so yum.

I love the flavors, the texture of this cake. It's not heavy, it's light. The frosting is light, and not overly sweet. The fruit is fresh, I don't glaze it so it's not overly sweet, Just refreshing. You can add whatever fruits you like, kiwi is yummy. Lychee is fabulous. Just nothing too wet, you can set them on a paper towel first if they are wet.


 I added a mango rose to the top of ours. But just a dusting of coconut flakes is yummy. Unless you are 2/3 of my family who doesn't like coconut flakes, so I leave it off or sprinkle it on my piece alone.


My birthday is coming up, I know what cake I'll be having. What is your favorite cake?

Coconut Pandan Sponge Cake

6 eggs, separated
1 cup granulated sugar (200 gr)
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut cream, or milk
2-3 teaspoons pandan extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cake flour (108 gr)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt

Fruit for garnish 
Chopped fruit for inside cake
Whipped Cream frosting
Coconut flakes, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans by lining them with parchment and spraying with cooking spray. Or line muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
  3. Whip egg whites with 1/2 cup (100 gr) sugar until you have stiff peaks. Set aside.
  4. Whip remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the egg yolks until they are thick and pale.
  5. Drizzle oil,coconut cream, and extracts into the egg yolk mixture while beating. Beat for two minutes.
  6. Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
  7. Fold flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stir until you can't see anymore flour.
  8. Gently combine the egg whites with the batter. Combining well without deflating the egg whites. You can use a whisk gently.
  9. Pour into cake pans or cupcake liners, smooth out the tops of the cakes.
  10. Bake until the tops are lightly browned and the cake springs back when the top is pushed down with your finger. Or use a test with a toothpick until it comes out clean. 
  11. About 20 minutes for cupcakes.
  12. About 30-40 minutes for cakes.
  13. Cool cakes completely before removing from pan.
  14. Release the cake from the pan by running a thin knife around the pan to loosen the cake.
  15. For cupcakes remove them from the tin and cool them on their sides or upside down.
  16. Once cooled assemble cakes with whipped cream frosting and desired fruit.
  17. Sprinkle with coconut flakes or press them on the sides of the cake, optional.


Whipped Cream Frosting

2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin*
2 tablespoons cold water
1-3/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
1/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature 
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar/icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or coconut extract
  1. Combine gelatin and cold water in a small sauce pan and let stand until thick, a few minutes.
  2. Turn heat on low and heat the water and gelatin stirring constantly. Heat until the gelatin is dissolved.
  3. Remove from heat and let cool a bit, but do not let it set.
  4. Take 1/4 cup of room temperature heavy cream and temper the gelatin mixture with it by stirring to combine.
  5. Whip the chilled cream, powdered sugar, and extract until thick.
  6. While slowly beating, add the gelatin mixture.
  7. Whip on high until you have stiff peaks.
If you do not have gelatin, I have made a great whipped cream frosting that I prefer in flavor and simplicity below.

Whipped Cream Frosting (Pudding)

3 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
2 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon, flavoring of choice
  1. Stir pudding mix into half of the heavy cream until there are no lumps.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and whip until you get your desired texture. I like stiff peaks. 

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees)


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.