Monday, November 14, 2016

Instant Pot Jasmine Rice

Each grain stands on it's own, no mushy rice here!
Jasmine rice, basmati, most long or short grain white rice I cook with the same method. In a rice cooker I wash and drain. Add about one inch of water and press the start button. I measure with my finger, have since my mom taught me as a child.  I don't usually pull out my ruler, but I thought it would help for this post. For brown rice, I add a splash more of water. That's helpful isn't it?

Water or liquid level for  Instant Pot Jasmine Rice.
This Instant  Pot method is much the same. Wash and drain the rice. Put it in the pot and go from here. It's very simple. I don't use measuring cups and eyeball it half the time. I give measurements, ratios really for recipes here on my blog and when I do that I measure and weigh a few times to be sure. But once you've made rice a few times, you can easily eyeball the measurements. I promise. I don't have any issues with sticking to the liner mushy rice.
No sticking at the bottom!
The rice should be fully cooked. The grains will stick together but should not be mushy. Each grain should be able to stay formed and not melt into the grain next to it being too wet.

Here are two Instant Pot rice recipes

Instant Pot White Rice

Rice, rinsed and drained*
Water, stock or broth*
Optional- seasonings such as turmeric, ginger, butter, spices, etc can be added.
  1. Place rice in the pot.
  2. Add water to cover over the rice by 3/4 inch.
  3. Press the rice button. 
  4. Or use the manual setting on HIGH pressure for four minutes. Let the rice naturally pressure release for 15 minutes. (Or press the rice button, which I do most often)
  5. Fluff with a fork.
OR 
  1. Place rice in a oven safe cooking vessel, I use my flan pan. It's stainless steel, glass and pottery are something I have not tried.
  2. Add water.
  3. Place uncovered container on the trivet with one cup of water underneath.
  4. Select MANUAL setting on HIGH pressure for three minutes. Let rice naturally pressure release for 10 minutes.
*Update, this has consistently been a 1:1 water to rice ratio for me.



Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.