Thursday, September 10, 2015

Pumpkin Spiced Caramel Rolls


I can't tell you how many times I've made these, tweaked this, baked these, tweaked some more. I mean really. It's one of those things where I would bake them, and we would like them, but I wasn't jumping up and down. I wanted some Pumpkin Spice flavor, pumpkin flavor, I wanted tender rolls, gooey caramel, then I wanted cream cheese glaze, crunchy seeds, no seeds. I finally tonight made some that I just think are PERFECT for us. I may at times leave off the Pumpkin Spice Glazed seeds, I may use a Maple Cream Cheese glaze. But the Pumpkin Spice caramel roll is so good as pictured above. The tender pumpkin spiced dough, the gooey caramel, the crunchy candied pumpkin seeds. SO perfect. I also have thrown the flour, yeast and heated pumpkin mixture into my bread machine to let the machine mix, knead, and proof for the first rise and it's worked beautifully. 
Here are some pictures of  my journey...


Smothered in a Maple Cream Cheese frosting that melts into every nook and cranny, I'll share this one soon.
These were yummy. The maple cream cheese frosting, YUM. Just not a ton of pumpkin spice, or pumpkin.

Oooey Gooey Caramel goodness.
These I baked with the caramel sauce in the pan. They were alright, but the caramel... there wasn't enough. I had to scrape the pan just to get this drizzle. Needed more caramel, and a more pumpkin-y dough. That's why I decided to drizzle caramel over the rolls instead of baking with the caramel in the oven. Though that's still a possibility.

Notes, notes, everywhere there's notes.
Then there's the countless notes, on index cards, scraps of  printer paper...
You get the point. I mean I know, we had to eat all of these yummy rolls. Sadly none of them were bad, they just weren't awesome. It's a hard knock life. I know. But now, here we are...

Pumpkin Spiced yeast dough is the base for a great Pumpkin Spiced Caramel Roll.

Gorgeous pumpkin dough with great pumpkin spice flavor. This is the foundation, and it's good. MMMM. I have a confession, I like to sniff yeast dough, and yeast dough with pumpkin spice? Heavenly.

Pumpkin Spice filling!
I layered the Pumpkin Spice in these by adding it to every element. The filling was no exception.

Ready for the second rise!
Pumpkin Spiced Glazed Pumpkin Seeds.
These seeds are great over salads, with roasted squash, on top of ice cream or yogurt. Trust me. So easy to make also. The recipe makes enough for the rolls with some leftover for snacking.

Beautifully risen.
You can make the pumpkin puree in a slow cooker, in the oven, or in a pressure cooker. I have all three methods blogged. Just use the search box on the top left of this blog.
Let's make these babies...

Give Peas A Chance Pumpkin Spiced Caramel Rolls

12 servings

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 egg beaten
3-1/4 cup flour
1 package of Active Dry Yeast (1/4 ounce or 2-1/4 teaspoons)


Filling-
1 teaspoon flour
4-5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar


  1. In a small pot stir the pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, butter, and pie spice. Stir and heat until lukewarm and combine. Remove pot from heat.
  2. Stir the beaten egg into the pumpkin mixture.
  3. Combine 1 cup of flour and Active Dry yeast together in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a big bowl.
  4. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer with the flour and yeast. Stir until combine. 
  5. Beat mixture on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Scrape down the bowl of the mixer, add flour 1/8-1/4 cup at a time. Stir each time to combine. Add flour until you have a fairly stiff but not dry dough.
  7. Knead the dough for 6-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. 
  8. Oil the dough and cover the bowl with a kitchen towel.
  9.  Let rise for one hour.
  10. Make the Glazed Spiced Pumpkin seeds and set aside to cool.
  11. Mix the flour, pumpkin pie spice, and brown sugar for the filling in a small bowl.
  12. Once the dough has risen and doubled in size, roll it out on a well floured surface into an 16x18 inch rectangle.
  13. Spread 4 tablespoons of butter on the rolled out dough. If needed use 5 tablespoons.
  14. Evenly spread out the brown sugar filling over the dough.
  15. Gently roll the dough up from the longer side. 
  16. With a sharp knife cut the roll into 12 pieces. I start in the middle, then divide each half into 6 pieces.
  17. Place the rolls into a greased  13 inch by 9 inch baking dish.
  18. Cover the rolls with the kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
  19. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  20. Uncover the caramel rolls.
  21. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
  22. Pour the caramel glaze over the hot cinnamon rolls.
  23. Sprinkle with Glazed Spiced Pumpkin seeds.


    *If the dough is rolled too tight the middle of the cinnamon rolls will peak up while baking because it will have no room to expand, don't roll too tight.

    * If you are using a bread machine for the dough, I add the pumpkin/egg mixture into the bread machine pan, then add 3 cups of flour and the yeast. During the initial mixing, I watch to see if the dough is too wet, if it is I add more flour. Once the dough is kneaded and done with the first rise, continue with the recipe as written.

Caramel glaze

8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick/ 1/2 cup)
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  1. Heat  butter, brown sugar, and heavy cream in a small pot. 
  2. Stir until the mixture is combined and the sugar is dissolved. 
  3. Cook until the caramel is bubbly and dark. If you are using a candy thermometer heat the mixture until about 210 degrees.
  4. Turn off the flame and add vanilla extract.
  5. Pour over hot Pumpkin Spiced Caramel rolls.


Glazed Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 packed tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
Fleur de Sel- optional


  1. Line a small baking sheet with parchment or use a silpat.
  2. Heat the butter and sugar in a small pan, stir until combined.
  3. Heat mixture until the sugar is completely melted.
  4. Turn the heat off, add pumpkin seeds and pumpkin pie spice into the sugar mixture. 
  5. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet. Spread the seeds out with a spoon.
  6. Sprinkle with Fleur de Sel or kosher salt.
  7. Let cool completely. 
  8. Break into smaller pieces.


Pumpkin Spiced Caramel Roll.
 Don't forget to get your kids in the kitchen. They can knead dough, measure, mix, and roll up these babies! I hope you'll try these, they are fantastic.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.