Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers

We love jalapeño poppers around here, these broiled ones I make HERE. I wasn't really thinking there was anyway to make them better for our taste buds, ummm bacon.  I thought with my seasoned filling and bacon on top, it would be so yummy. And aside from some execution issues, which I will explain later, the girls and I loved them. I won't make them often because of the bacon but oh so GOOD.


Jalapeños
Cream cheese
Shredded cheese
Garlic powder
Dry ranch dressing powder
Bacon- one slice for every TWO jalapeños




Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl mix your cream cheese, shredded cheese and seasonings. Set aside.








Wash and dry your jalapeños. Slice them in half lengthwise, and scoop out ribs and seeds, if you like it spicy, roll the whole jalapeño on the counter with the palm of your hand, to release some spiciness from the ribs, before you cut and seed them.








Cut your bacon in half, store the rest for later, or if you have more jalapeños use it all.






Make a little assembly line... so you can keep your workspace bacon grease free or at least contained.








Stuff the jalapeño halves with the cream cheese mixture. As you can see I have two plain ones because I ran out of mixture.











Set each on the bacon slices.






Wrap it around.










Secure with a toothpick.









Bake for about 20 minutes on a baking sheet with a rack on top. I lined with parchment, for easy clean up. Those who live green, I am sorry avert your eyes.
Now if your bacon isn't browning or crisping broil really quick at the end. You want your jalapeños to still have some crunch.


NOW here is my deal with this method... I have always just broiled my poppers because we like them spicy, and the more they cook the less spicy they are. These weren't that spicy, my one year old thought they were a little but she drank milk and ate more. So when I make these again I will do it all the same except I will put my bacon slices in the oven on the rack and cook them for a bit, so they are still pliable but cooked a bit, like I would normally cook bacon in the oven. Then I would let it cool for a bit, who wants to burn their fingers with hot bacon? After I would wrap the poppers and continue with the recipe. Only baking enough to crisp the bacon maybe at a higher temperature.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. oh yum!! I'm moving in with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY, I love these, I prefer to grill them on tinfoil, on a very low heat. Oh my, either way, they are still delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.