Monday, March 23, 2020

Copycat Gideon's Bakehouse Cookies

I have so many Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes on this blog, but let's face it, sometimes you want them chewy, cakey, extra chocolatey. Mood. Right? For extra chocolate richness, this is the recipe you want. If you've ever been to Gideon's Bakehouse or the Polite Pig at Disney Springs you may know about these cookies. Voted the best cookie in Florida they are really yummy. There's rich chocolate, vanilla, and a tender cookie that's a little underbaked but not raw. They are in my top two favorite cookies at Disney Springs, the other being the Jammy Dodgers at Cookes.
The original Gideon cookies are half-pound each.  I don't make mine quite that big because we always share the huge ones! I think this size is perfect for us. You can bake them up bigger if you want.
This recipe calls for cold butter so not soft, which is nice when you want to start the dough on a whim, however it does need to be chilled before baking so plan ahead that way.
I used my bigger cookie scoop for these, they are about golf ball size I guess? I don't play golf so maybe not. 
You can make so many variations of cookies with this dough. You can add nuts, and roll the cookies in chocolate chips and more nuts. If you want salty and sweet, pretzels. Toffee would be good. So many options. I love cookies with pecans or walnuts in them but I don't make them at home with a nut-free kid. 

Copycat Gideon's Bakehouse Cookies 

1 cup cold butter
1 lightly scooped cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar, raw is great
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1.5 cups cake flour
1.5 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher  
6 cups chocolate chips, divided (I like bittersweet, and you may need more than 6 cups if you LOVE chocolate) 
sea salt flakes for sprinkling on top
  1. Cut the butter into small pieces. 
  2. Cream the butter, sugars, and vanilla until light and fluffy, a stand mixer works great for this. 
  3. Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
  4. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. (Flours, cornstarch, baking soda, salt.) 
  5. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined. Do not overmix.
  6. Stir in 2 cups of the chocolate chips.
  7. Form cookie dough into 2 inch balls and roll each ball into the remaining chocolate chips. Pressing the chocolate into the balls. (If you find the dough is too sticky you can chill it before forming it into balls. I find it easier to work with if the dough is not so hard from being chilled.)
  8. Set each ball of dough on to a baking sheet, they can be touching. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to overnight. 
  9. To bake cookies, preheat the oven to 400F.
  10. Place cookies onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Make sure there are 2-3 inches between each cookie.
  11. Bake for 9-11 minutes until set. Sprinkle each cookie with a little sea salt.
  12. Cool cookies for about a minute on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a baking rack to finish cooling.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.