Sunday, April 30, 2017

Lao Curry Blue Crab

Curry Blue Crab.
Maryland Blue Crab season is May through September from what I hear anyway. I see them so often in the stores, I'm not really sure. My favorite are soft shell crab. But when my mom comes she makes us a Lao Curry with the blue crab. I NEVER make this dish alone. We only have it when my mom is here. Every time my mom is here and makes it, I take pictures and think I'm going to sit down and blog it. I haven't up until now. I have posted pictures before though, you can see them here.
It's not a difficult dish to make, it's just time consuming. We just don't love crab enough to make it often. Using snow crab claws, lobster, or king crab it would be easier to manage and to eat.

Placing the crab in the freezer helps slow them down for cleaning.

Taking the top shell off of the crab is a quick way to process them.

Removing the claws before the top shell is a good way to keep from being pinched.

For easier eating and in infuse the meat with curry flavor in the claws break them a little with a mortar.

A  crab cracker also works for the claws.

The hard part is over! The cooking goes fast.

A lid helps steam the crab on top.

Eggs bring a richness to this dish.

If you cant find  these garlic shoots, chives work also.

Lao Curry Blue Crab

Fresh blue crab, washed and cleaned
1-2 tablespoons Avocado oil or olive oil
2-4 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed.
3 eggs
3 tablespoons oyster sauce (Use coconut aminos for a Whole 30 option)
1 cup water or salt free stock
1 bunch of garlic scapes/shoots

  1. Scramble eggs and set aside to cook later.
  2. While crab is in the freezer wash the garlic scapes and cut them into 2 inch pieces and set aside.
  3. Heat a wok and add oil to saute the garlic.
  4. Add curry powder and toast.
  5. Add the crab and oyster sauce, stir to coat with the curry powder mixture.
  6. Pour scrambled eggs over the crab and toss to coat and cook.
  7. Add reserved juice and contents of the carapace shells that was reserved.
  8. Add 1/2 cup stock if needed to de glaze the wok and coat the crab.
  9. Cook until the crab is starting to turn red.
  10. Stir crab well, turning to cook evenly.
  11. Add garlic scapes/shoots and toss, cooking for 2 minutes.
  12. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare and clean the crab

  1. Pick female crabs if possible. Females have a wider abdominal flap than the males. Males do have more meat, but we like the eggs that come with the females.
  2. Place crabs in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
  3. Wash the crabs. 
  4. Remove the claws for easier handling.
  5. Hold the crabs with the underside in your palm. 
  6. With your other hand remove the top carapace (shell).
  7. Empty the contents of the top shell into a bowl and reserve.
  8. Remove gills and discard.
  9. Crack the claws by gently tapping with a hammer or pestle, or use crab crackers.


What dishes do you make rarely because they simply take more work than you want to put into them?

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.