Sunday, April 9, 2017

Seafood Stock

Instant Pot seafood stock.
Here's a an easy seafood stock to make whenever the stock bags in your freezer get full. You have stock bags right? Labeled seafood, beef, chicken, veggie... pork? If not start some. Put vegetable scraps, stems of cilantro and parsley in them. Chicken bones, beef bones. Once full, pull them out and make a stock.
Things I don't put in there
organ meats
broccoli
cauliflower
potatoes
onion skins
asparagus
peppers
cabbage
There's probably more, but I can't think of any right now.

Stocks are a great flavor booster for soups, stews, stir fry, rice, mashed potatoes, and so much more. It's also easy to make them and costs virtually nothing since you're saving bones you would normally throw away, and that half onion that won't get used because you'll forget it in the back of the fridge. Also, you know whats in it and what isn't. You can make it salt free, I make all of mine without added salt so I can control the amount of salt in each dish.
This is the same method I use for all my stocks,  all vegetable takes less time to cook though. Use this seafood stock in my Jambalaya posted here. I actually first posted this stock on that post, but I am posting again because it's peak craw fish season.


 Seafood Stock 

5-6 cups Seafood bones and shells* 
2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 onion, peeled and split
2 carrots
3 stalks of celery
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 handful of parsley and/or cilantro stems
1 bay leaf
Water
  1. Wash seafood bones and shells.
  2. Heat oil to saute the seafood, you can also roast these in an oven.
  3. Add black peppercorns, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic, cook until fragrant.
  4. Add and saute the seafood for 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
  5. Add remaining ingredients. Filling the pot to the "max" line with water.
  6. Close the lid and cook on HIGH/MORE pressure for 120-240 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally. (This is a big time difference, I do 240 minutes, but 120 works if you don't have that kind of time.)
  7. Strain though a fine mesh sieve or a colander lined with coffee filters. Discard solids.
  8. To cool stock quickly for freezing or refrigerator, set the stock in a bowl and put the bowl in an ice water bath.
  9. Freeze or refrigerate if not using right away.

Seafood bones and shells: Shells and heads from shrimp, crawfish, lobster. shells from crab, and/or fish skeletons and heads.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.