Saturday, November 2, 2013

Give Peas A Chance Frito Pie


I can't believe I have never made this for the girls. They LOVED it. I mean, we've had Walking Tacos, but not Frito Pie. Really this chili (basically) can be put on pasta, baked potatoes, fries, whatever you want. I made it to our liking spices and all, but adjust the seasonings to what your family likes best. My girls don't like chile with chunks of tomatoes in it, so I didn't use chunks. I don't like beans, so I left them out, I served them on the side for everyone else. This recipe freezes well also which is perfect for quick meals on chilly evenings.
If you are looking for the slow cooker or Instant Pot methods for this Frito Pie, use the search function on the left hand side of my blog.

Paleo/Gluten Free Tip: Serve this over a baked potato and leave out the masa for a grain free, gluten free option. Use coconut amnios or a gluten free soy sauce. Same goes for the Worcestershire sauce.


Give Peas A Chance Frito Pie

1-1.5 pounds lean ground beef
1 tablespoon bacon grease, 17 grams (You can also use butter, ground beef renderings, or olive oil)
1 onion chopped, 220 grams
2 jalapeno diced, 60 grams
2 garlic cloves minced, 6 grams
2 cans tomato sauce (15 ounces each)
1 small can tomato paste (6 ounces)
2 teaspoons cumin, 5 grams
2-3 tablespoons chili powder, 12-18 grams
1 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 grams
1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 grams
1 tablespoon oregano, 2 grams
1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 7 grams= 1tbs
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce, 10 grams= 1tbs
4 tablespoons Masa Harina (corn flour- optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Serve with:
Black beans
Onion
Cheddar cheese (shredded)
Frito Chips
Sour cream
Jalapeno slices
Cilantro leaves


  1. Brown ground beef. Drain.
  2. In the same pot, saute the onion, garlic, and jalapeno with the oil. Cook until the onions are translucent.
  3. Return drained beef to the pot. Turn the heat to medium/medium high.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients but NOT the masa. Stir, making sure the tomato paste is dissolved.
  5. Mix the masa with about 1/2 to 1 cup of water. Pour this into the pot. Stir well.
  6. Simmer for 10-20 minutes, stirring so food at the bottom of the pan does not burn.
  7. Taste and adjust seasonings.
  8. Serve over Frito Chips with other toppings.

Notes-
I don't like beans, if you do drain and rinse a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans. Add them to the pot at the same time you add the tomato sauce.
The Masa Harina is optional, but it is a great thickener and carries that corn flavor/theme throughout. You know corn chips. If you don't have masa grind up two corn tortillas or use corn meal. Corn meal is not as fine as the masa.

Freezer Tip: This freezes very well, make a double batch. Heat it up for a quick meal with Frito chips, over a baked potato, or even over pasta.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +


Pin It!

1 comment:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.