Saturday, April 20, 2013

GPAC Churro Waffles


 Churro Waffles, you've seen these before- especially if you've been on Pinterest. These aren't anything "new", but when I saw them I had to try to make them. For a person who doesn't really like sweets, these are so good. Oh my. So good. You can eat a stack of these, but one is perfect. With a hot cup of coffee. Or for dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
These waffles, are crisp on the outside, and they have that chewy bite that Churros have in the middle. I first made these waffles with a standard waffle batter- except I used ghee in place of the oil or butter, added almond extract, and cinnamon to the batter- AH-mazing. But they still lacked that chewy bite in the middle. So I reworked the batter and used some tapioca flour (starch), which is perfect for texture. You can see a picture of the tapioca starch packaging HERE, we use it to make rice noodles. It's cheapest if you go to an Asian market to buy it. Diva and I both prefer Almond extract in this waffle, if you want vanilla instead, use it!
That all being said- use your favorite waffle batter if you don't want to go out and get another ingredient.
I have a Belgian waffle maker, I may have mentioned before I like classic or home style waffles better, but this might be one time that the nice big Belgian style waffle maker is better.


Give Peas A Chance Churro Waffles

2 cups flour
3/4 cups tapioca starch
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs, beaten
1 2/3 cup warm milk
1/2 cup melted ghee *
1 teaspoon of almond extract*

Topping-
Melted butter or ghee
Cinnamon Sugar- I use a Love Abounds mixture of Cinnamon and Vanilla Sugars

  1. Stir all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Make a well in the center of the ingredients.
  2. Add wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. 
  3. Mix the ingredients together. The batter will not be lump free. It may also be a little thin.
  4. Cook in a waffle maker. In our waffle maker it took about 4-5 minutes per waffle. 
  5. I did brush the waffle maker every few waffles with some butter. 
  6. As the waffles come out of the waffle maker, set them one at a time in a pie dish. Brush the waffle on one side with butter. 
  7. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Flip the waffle, brush with more butter, sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar.
  8.  Serve immediately.
  9. These waffles are best served right away. If you want to store them, don't add the topping. Just freeze the waffles, heat in an oven or toaster. Brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before serving.
  10. Try these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

You can substitute butter or coconut oil for ghee.
Vanilla can be used in place of almond extract, a little cinnamon extract if you have it also.

Also, the best way to clean a waffle iron, Forman type of grills, broiler pans is putting a wet dish towel on top of them while they are still hot. Sometimes I just pour hot water on top of the broiler pan too.

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I want to try this tomorrow morning for breakfast! They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ENJOY them Karen! and thanks so much for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Willtry these for our grandson- he loves churros!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could limit myself to just one! lol
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy I hope you have a great week! and thanks for the link up!

      Delete
  4. Yum! These look delish! And great tip about cleaning the equipment, too. Thanks so much for sharing on Project Inspire{d} this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.