Sunday, September 25, 2011

Smashed Potatoes

I'm not a potato kind of girl, I've seen these potatoes before but we just don't eat a lot of potatoes so I just filed it in the back of my head. When I saw these pinned on Pinterest for some reason they looked so good. My friend did say the recipe she pinned wasn't that great so I didn't bother with it.
I tried to season these with each step to add more flavor. This is nothing more than a method, add whatever spices and herbs you like.
These are creamy soft in the middle and crisp on the outside. SO good. I'll be making these again.
UPDATE: To make these potatoes even quicker use a pressure cooker, I use an Instant Pot. I updated the recipe at the bottom.

Here are the simple steps, scroll down for the full recipe.


For the butter- heat the butter, oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and rosemary. Just until fragrant. You don't need to brown anything. Set it aside for later. If desired strain or discard the herbs and spices.


Wash the potatoes and cook them. Then toss with half of the butter mixture. 


 With a potato masher smash the potatoes- WOOOO HOOO! I can finally say I've used this thing! DH has had it since we got married and I don't remember using it once. YAY!! You can also use the back of a wooden spoon. You want them smashed so that more surface area gets crisp and buttery. Get your kids in the kitchen and let them help you smash these.


Smashed Potatoes


1-1/2 pounds baby red potatoes
Salt for water

Herb butter:
3 tablespoons butter, or ghee
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary- fresh or dried
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3-4 crushed garlic cloves

Mix together:
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt- Kosher is fine, I used Hiwa Kai black salt

1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, fresh rosemary, or parsley.

For the Herb Butter:
  1. Heat the butter, oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and rosemary just until fragrant. 
  2. If desired strain or discard the herbs and spices.
  3.  Set aside.
For the Potatoes:
  1. Wash the potatoes. Cut them in half if they are bigger. 
  2. Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Or use the Instant Pot method at the bottom of this post.
  3.  Drain the potatoes.
  4. Toss with half of the butter mixture.
  5. Heat oven to 425 degrees. 
  6. Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet. 
  7. With a potato masher of the back of a wooden spoon smash/flatten the potatoes. Keeping them in one flat piece, not mashed into little pieces.
  8. Drizzle with remaining butter mixture. 
  9. Sprinkle with chili powder mixture.
  10. Roast for 15-20 minutes until crisp and lightly browned. 
  11. Season with salt and pepper. 
  12. Sprinkle with fresh chopped herb of choice.

* To cook these potatoes in an Instant Pot, wash the potatoes and pierce them with a fork a few times. Place them on a steaming rack with 1 cup of water underneath in the liner of your Instant Pot. Place the potatoes on the rack and cook them on HIGH PRESSURE for 10 minutes, let the pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I was reading this last night and decided I needed to have these. Luckily we only had a few small potatoes lying around the house otherwise, lord knows how many I would have eaten. These were marvelous. I didn't measure ingredients, but generally used the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy good right ? so easy too! I'm glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.