Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Crock pot Curry Chicken (Primal/Paleo)

I'm trying to use my crock pot more... most of you know how I feel about crock pots. If not search the term here on my blog. LOL. I'm just not good at cooking in it. But summer is here and it's HOT. This dish I decided to do with bone in chicken, thighs. I feel they don't taste as dried out as breasts. If you use breasts, I'd get bone in. If they are big just cut them in half.
I made a big batch of this to have as leftovers and served it over cauliflower rice, or riced cauliflower. Which is much easier if I pulse it in the food processor real quick to get the "grains".
Use as much or as little curry paste as you want. It depends on how much heat you want. I have a recipe for curry paste HERE. Below are links to store bought curry paste we like, that have minimal ingredients. There are also links for primal/paleo friendly coconut milk and fish sauce.
More Give Peas A Chance on Chowstalker

Crock pot Curry Chicken

6-5 chicken thighs, bone in- you can skin them if you'd like
1 large onion cut into chunks- peeled
1-2 bell peppers cut into chunks- seeded
3-6 tablespoons Panang curry paste- homemade or store bought
2-3 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
2 inch piece of ginger  peeled and sliced into big rounds
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
salt
pepper
Nam Pla- fish sauce (Red Boat has no added sugar in theirs)
high heat cooking oil for searing
1- 1 1/2 cups Frozen peas- optional

Turn the crock pot on. High if you only have 3-4 hours. Low if you have more time.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a pan heat the oil until hot. Sear the chicken and brown on all sides. Put it in the crock pot.
Place onion and bell pepper on top.
In the same pan, with a little oil if needed saute the curry paste, garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add the coconut milk and cook until fragrant.  Add 1/4 cup of broth or 1/2 depending on how much liquid you want to end up with. 
Pour over veggies in the crock pot. Cover and cook until chicken is done. About 3 hours max for high, and 2 hours for low on my crock pot.
 Before serving stir in frozen peas. We didn't have peas on hand :(. I know they aren't usually found in Thai curries but they are good in this dish.


































Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I am drooling over this recipe!
    Going to try it out this weekend!
    Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.