Sunday, March 27, 2011

Five Spice Braised Pork and EASY Cauliflower Rice

Crock pot WIN! I know, that doesn't happen often does it. This pork is so flavorful- and not mushy. The cauliflower rice was a risk since I don't make cauliflower often. DH hates it, I'm not a huge fan of it cooked- so I usually don't make it. But I kept hearing these reviews that it's just like rice in texture and bite, so why not. Turns out the girls and I LOVE it.

Give Peas A Chance Five Spice braised pork

3 tbs low sodium soy sauce or coconut amnios
 1 tsp Chinese five spice
2 tbs brown sugar or substitute honey or maple syrup
2 inch piece ginger peeled and sliced into match sticks
2 tbs oyster flavored sauce (omit for gluten free pork)
2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into cubes

Stir all ingredients except the pork in a bowl, add the pork and turn to coat it. Put everything into a crock pot and cook on high for 5-6 hours or 8 hours on low. Or until tender. *I put everything into a zip top bag, move it around to mix everything up and store it in the refrigerator overnight. That way in the morning I can just dump it all into the crock pot.


Cauliflower rice

1 head of cauliflower
Optional- salt, pepper, butter, whatever spices you like with your rice

All I did was cut up the little florets of cauliflower to resemble rice. Then I steamed it for a short 3-4 minutes. That's it. This time I saved the stems for something else but next time I'm going to peel them and then pulse them into rice sized bits.
** I now just take the florets of cauliflower and steam them intact. Once steamed, place them into a stand mixer.  Turn it on and ta da! Riced Cauliflower. SO easy. Why didn't anyone tell me about this before?

Pin It!

2 comments:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.