Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lets Get This- Day 6 (Coconut and almond pancakes)

I think weekends are going to be challenging around here. Weekdays Pixie and I can grab whatever and eat, on the weekend I have three other people to feed, three meals each. I snacked in the morning. So all I had was water and some cashews. For lunch I had leftovers, a sliver of steak, green salad and green chilie stew- link HERE. I had some nuts throughout the day. For dinner we had Chicken Tikka Masala, Palek Paneer, cilantro naan- I had a tiny bit of Pixies. The funny thing is I thought that if i took a bite I would want to eat a whole piece and I wasn't tempted at all.
I made some coconut flour pancakes without sugar to use as my dipping bread. SO good. Recipes will come shortly for these items. In the meantime here is what I did for the pancakes. I adapted this recipe from several I found online. I made some with almond meal and some without. The pancakes with almond meal were more dense and thicker- perfect for a dipping bread. The ones with just coconut flour were lighter. I think this would be a perfect pancake with pandan flavoring/screwpine leaves. I'm going to try a chai version, pumpkin and so many more! I loved these and I didn't miss the sugar at all, or the wheat. You can sweeten this with honey, maple syrup or whatever you like.
If I eat these as pancakes I'll just reduce some frozen fruit to make a syrup.


3 eggs
3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil (or a combination of both)
3 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk or cream
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons coconut flour (for the almond meal pancakes I reduced the coconut flour to 1 1/2 TBS and added about 2 tablespoons of almond flour add more if the batter is too runny.)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 

Vanilla- optional depending on what you're using this for

Mix everything together and cook on a hot griddle like you would pancakes. If the batter is thick add a little milk. IF you are using almond meal you may need to add more, coconut flour absorbs SO much liquid and the almond does not. You can also add an extra egg for more eggy pancakes.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.