Friday, April 15, 2011

Let's Get This Day 5, Collard Greens

Dinner tonight- steak (I like mine medium/medium rare but umm we had an incident with the grill and flames and DHs arm hairs.)
Collard greens- recipe below. This isn't really Paleo since it's got bacon in it, and that's not so lean :)
Salad- with some seasoning salt on it
I had three servings of salad.
I wanted to address the whole grass fed beef etc for Paleo eaters. That's not doable for us financially right now. If you can though it is best. And really, this isn't really Paleo. I am cutting grains, refined sugars, legumes and high starch high, carb veggies though. 
For breakfast I had a cup of white tea with a little cream.
Mid morning a cheese stick and some sliced ham.
For lunch I had Green Chile Stew and a Larabar. 
After dinner the girls and I went to Yogiberry. I should review this place. The one near us is nice and clean. Great customer service. HOWEVER, for me the Original still had all sorts of sugar, dextrose and what not in it. So I had about a tablespoon of that with some walnuts, almonds, berries, pineapple- which I pretended was fresh and not canned,  and a tiny bit of honey. 
When we got home I was hungry, I think even that little bit of sugar jump started my body thinking that it needed to burn only carbs or something. I had some collard greens.

Collard Greens
1 bunch of collard greens 
1 sliced and seeded jalapeno
1 smashed clove of garlic
3 slices bacon
2 teaspoons bacon grease 
Juice from hot peppers in vinegar
stock/water/broth to cover
Trim collard greens, remove tough stems and cut into pieces.
In a pot heat bacon grease. Add garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 1 minute.
Add greens, cover with water/broth/stock. Bring to a boil.  Crumble bacon and add it to the pot. Turn heat down to a simmer and cook until tender. Add a splash of hot pepper juice and serve.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.