Friday, November 5, 2010

Tang Zhong Starter

This is my first time making the Tang Zhong  starter for breads. Honestly I didn't want to pull out my thermometer but I probably should have and heated it to 65 C instead of guessing. What is Tang  Zhong starter? It is a water and flour starter that is heated to 65 degrees Celsius. 
WHY and I trying this method/starter? Because I love Chinese bakery bread, it has this amazing soft texture, soft, chewy and just good. We have a Chinese bakery here that is amazing actually a few, but sometimes you just want to make your own bread.  Not that I'm a great bread maker, but I'm up for a challenge. I googled, searched, skimmed through a You Tube video where I didn't understand a lick of Chinese in. Then I came across some blogs. Christine's Recipes, Angie's RecipesDo What I Like. So I thought, that's enough info to help me get started.
Click here for Vanilla Bean Bread with Tang Zhong Starter
1/3 cup bread flour
1 cup water

Stir the water and flour to get the lumps out in a small pot.

Heat and stir until you get lines or the mixture reaches the 65C. I might have overdone it. We'll see.
I say I might have over done it because as with most things, it kept cooking while I pulled out my drinking glass to put it in. OH well.

I covered it up and put it in the fridge...
Now to use it.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.