Sunday, August 22, 2010

Coconut Pwaffles with Coconut Cream Specialty Sugar

Looking for another use for your Coconut Cream Specialty Sugar- I just had a customer post Beignets she made with them on the Love Abounds Facebook page! OH MY YUM. You can make these in a regular griddle. I used a griddle that looked like little mini waffles. It doesn't get the batter crisp like a true waffle iron. I suspect I could pull out my waffle iron and see how this does. The extra egg in this better makes these egg-y and almost custard-y. Are those words? Who cares. These pancakes were an accident. I was making pancakes with a bar of bacon dark chocolate and my mom walks by and goes, coconut would be good- like the ones they make at Asian markets. SO, a little bit of unsweetened dessicated coconut, Coconut Cream Specialty Sugar, and an extra egg later... seriously good pancakes. SO there you have it. Go. Make these. Add macadamia nuts if you want, but the ones at the Asian market aren't made with nuts... nor are they served with syrup, so I guess make em like ya want.  I did NOT make these with coconut milk/cream. Sometimes I find it makes baked goods etc greasy. I made some small ones to freeze for Bentos too.

2 cups All Purpose flour (bleached or unbleached)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cup buttermilk, or soured milk
5 tablespoons melted butter
3 eggs beaten
3 tablespoons unsweetened dessicated coconut
Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl, gently/lightly stir in wet ingredients until there are no BIG lumps, small lumps are OK. Fold in dried coconut. Don't over stir.
Cook on a hot griddle -seasoned/lightly oiled. Test the griddle/pan by adding a drop of water. If it sizzles and bounces off the surface it's hot enough.
I used about 1/4 cup of batter for the griddle/crepe pan, cooked the first side until you get bubbles on the edges. Flip them over and cook the other side.
For the waffle pan I used a tablespoon of batter maybe a teeny bit more, but it really overfills quick. I had to push down the second side for them to get any indention and color on them. I had to use tongs to turn them also. Kind of awkward.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.