herbed" a word? I am unsure. Maybe it should just be "Herb Potatoes" that sounds right. Anyway. Hassleback potatoes, really. We don't eat a lot of potatoes. Diva and I don't like them really, we'll eat them but not a lot of them. We eat fries when we're out sometimes, but even then I eat about 6 or 7 fries and I am done. But these potatoes are so good. Tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. The herbs make them flavorful. These are one of our favorite ways to eat potatoes now!
Use a wooden spoon or two chopsticks on each side of the potato as a guide to help you not cut each slice too far down.
The potatoes should stay intact.
Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. They will fan out a bit, and you can season them between each layer.
Herb or Herbed? Potatoes
medium sized potatoes, cooked *
Butter, or ghee
Herbs- I like parsley and thyme
- While the potatoes are laying horizontally, cut vertical slits about 1/4-1/2" apart. Do not cut through to the bottom. You want the potatoes to stay together. To make this process easier, put a potato in the bowl of a wooden spoon, or between two chopsticks. Make slices in the potato as far down as possible without cutting through to the bottom. Use the chopsticks or spoon sides as a "stopper".
- If the potatoes don't sit upright, take a sliver off the bottom with a knife to make a flat surface.
- Wash and chop up the herbs.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil, between the slices!
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika or whatever seasonings you like on potatoes, and between the slices.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the skin is crisp.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with a little bit of melted butter and sprinkle the herbs on top and in between the slices of the potatoes.
* To cook these in an Instant Pot, wash the potatoes and pierce them with a fork a few times. Place them on a steaming rack with 1 cup of water underneath in the liner of your Instant Pot. Place the potatoes on the rack and cook them on HIGH PRESSURE for 7 minutes for small potatoes, 10 minutes for medium potatoes, 18 minutes for large potatoes, let the pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
* To cook these potatoes in an oven before slicing, see the method in this link .