Sunday, March 8, 2009

Brown Rice Cereal for baby...

Brown rice cereal... simple. Easy. Naturally sweet. Not only that but it's made with organic brown rice, that's it. Sure it's not as easy as pouring premade baby cereal into a bowl and adding water, but at least you know what's in it right? For instance, this is the ingredient list for organic brown rice cereal for babies from a major baby food company -

INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE FLOUR, TRI- AND DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SOY LECITHIN, MIXED TOCOPHEROLS (FOR FRESHNESS), ELECTROLYTIC IRON, ZINC SULFATE, ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), NIACINAMIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12 (CYANOVOBALAMIN).



Things to think about
- foods labeled organic only have to have 95% of the ingredients be organic
- soy lecithin- while it is said to be hypoallergenic some soy protein remains, not worth putting into my baby's maturing digestive system. Esp with a sibling that has soy allergies.
- Soy is one of the eight most common food allergies according to the FALCPA

Let's just get on with the cereal making...
1/4 cup ground up brown rice
1 1/2 to 2 cups water
(that seems like a lot of water but I use that much to make sure it's tender.)



To grind the rice up into a powder I use my blender, my food processor didn't work well. You can grind up extra and store it in an air tight container in the freezer.







Ta-da..









Bring the water to a boil... WHISK in the powder and keep whisking.






Turn it down and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will keep in the fridge for 72 hours. For Pixie, I warm it in the baby cook and blend it even finer since she's just starting out.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.