Saturday, December 13, 2008

Waffles, waffles and more waffles...

Ok, I am behind, as always. But it's been busy around here! Waffles, what can I say about them? I like them, not as much as crepes, however clean up sure is a breeze. I prefer thin ones as opposed to Belgian, but all I have is a Belgian iron so there you go. Two kinds of waffles to post, an overnight waffle made with yeast and a gingerbread waffle. Hands down my favorite waffle is the gingerbread, spicy, bold, rich in flavor. YUM.
Let's just get started shall we?
First up overnight waffles. These have yeast in them. You make the batter the night before and it's ready to go in the morning. I like these, I can't say it takes long to make a waffle batter anyway, but if you're pressed for time these are a great idea. You can dress up the batter anyway you'd like of course.

Overnight Waffles

The batter is easy peasy.

2 1/4 cups of flour (AP)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 package of dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil or melted butter

In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients and beat until combined. Cover loosely and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning stir the batter. Bake in a waffle iron. Makes about 16 waffles. I served ours with blueberry sauce I made with frozen berries and of course whipped cream.


Moving on...
I love gingerbread, I love ginger in general actually. So it's no surprise that these waffles are my favorite. Fairly easy batter, none of that whipping egg whites and folding them in. I just threw it all together. Incidentally I did mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl the night before so that in the morning I could just throw in the wet ingredients and cook them.

Give Peas A Chance Gingerbread Waffles

1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup brown sugar

wet ingredients-
3/4 cup buttermilk (I never have this on hand so I make it with milk and either vinegar or lemon juice)
1/4 cup molasses
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg

Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients well. Add them to the dry ingredients, mix well and cook on your waffle iron.


Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I bet those gingerbread waffles smell amazing as they're cooking :). I'd love to feature your recipe on our blog! Please let me know if you're interested :).

    Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
    sophie@keyingredient.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.