Sunday, August 3, 2008

Deviled Chicken

OK, I need to ease into this, it's been a while and well, I am a bit rusty. This is pretty straight forward and easy, so I decided to save myself some time and skip all the "step-by-step" photos. (Like you care.) I found this recipe in my gourmet magazine, I think it's in this months magazine actually. Regardless, the method is great and I will continue to use it and tweak it, the flavors were not that great for our family. The original recipe called for chicken drumsticks, I used thighs because it's what i had on hand, next time I will use breasts.
This chicken is good cold, warm or hot. And it's easy to make.

I don't have exact measurements, and I am to comfy to get up and get the magazine for them so here you go-
8-10 bone in, skin on drumsticks or chicken thighs (if you use breasts cut them in half for faster cooking)
3/4 cups of mustard- the recipe called for Dijon I used a spicy brown mustard, because I prefer it over Dijon
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
ground cayenne pepper
salt
ground black pepper
1/4-1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
3 tablespoons butter melted

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Rinse chicken pieces and pat with a paper towel. Place them in a large bowl, toss with mustard to coat.
Mix the bread crumbs and seasonings together in a separate bowl or pie plate. Drizzle with melted butter and mix together.
Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet, big enough to hold all the chicken so that it isn't touching.
Dredge the chicken pieces in the panko mixture and coat it well. Place them skin side up on the baking sheet. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is done. I did NOT turn these at all, there was no need. They came out wonderfully crisp, that is why I like this method.
Now what I would do differently next time-
Substitute the mustard for a buttermilk soak, the mustard was too strong, but I guess that's why it's called Deviled Chicken.
-Season the panko depending on my mood and tastes.
-Instead of a greased rimmed baking sheet I am going to place a baking rack into the baking sheet so that any grease will drip down onto the pan an the chicken won't sit in it. Still I wouldn't use a roasting pan, the high sides would trap in moisture and the chicken wouldn't be crisp, so a rimmed shallow baking sheet is best, I used a jelly roll pan
-I will try drumsticks and breasts next time, the thighs were a bit too greasy.
Like I said this is a great method and really a great recipe if you like the flavors. The chicken was moist and crispy, no frying required.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.