Sunday, June 1, 2008

Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding


*excuse the lack of pictures for this post, I have them and they are actually in the girl's book but I just don't have the time right now to watermark, resize and upload pictures.*

Prime rib... oh the agony of posting a recipe for this. Why? I don't have a recipe. I have a method. I am unsure of even how long to cook a prime rib because I cheat and use my meat thermometer... sure I have a roundabout idea of when to put it in the oven so it's ready by dinner, but still. So now what? I guess tell you what I do and you can experiment. There are a ton of variations, you can make little slits in the prime rib and stuff it with garlic cloves, you can rub it with fancy rubs, so many variations I can't think of any more to list LOL.

Prime rib

seasonings- coarse salt, coarse ground black pepper, you know that kinda stuff.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Take the seasonings you are using and mix them up in a little bowl. Rub the seasonings all over the prime rib. Rub them in and pat some more on to let it form a crust. Place the prime rib with the fat side up so that the bones can support the meat and act as a rack. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes until a crust forms and the prime rib is browned. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Insert the meat thermometer and set it for how you like your meat cooked. I prefer medium-rare, but I am pregnant so medium it was for this meal. Take the roast out of the oven 10 degrees before the desired temperature. Tent with foil and let it rest and continue cooking out of the oven.

When I think of Yorkshire pudding I think of a savory dutch baby, because really that's what it is. Or perhaps I haven't had a proper Yorkshire pudding yet?
Regardless these are yummy with gravy and a good roast or prime rib.
You can add chopped chives or other herbs and flavorings to the batter also.

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup milk- a little more for a more custard texture
Fat from roast drippings or butter

While the roast is in the oven place all the ingredients (except the butter or fat drippings) for the pudding into a blender. Give it a whirl. Scrape down the sides of the blender if needed to get the flour incorporated. Set this mixture in the refrigerator until the roast is out of the oven and resting. When the roast is resting drain the meat juices, skim off some fat drippings for the puddings and save the rest for au jus or gravy. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees. In a muffin tin pour a little bit of the fat- or use melted butter into each cup. Place the tin into the oven and let it get hot. Blend the ingredients once more in case they have settled. Divide the batter into the cups of the muffin tin. Return to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Do not open the oven, the puddings need to rise. Once removed from the oven they will fall.
That's about it...
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees)


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. wow, thanks for the yorkshire pudding recipe. It looks easy, cos it only need that little ingredient. ha ha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.