Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lao Coconut Sweet Rice And Mango


Traditionally pineapple does not go with this dish but Diva requested some pineapple because DH cut up the sweetest perfectly ripe pineapple yesterday. So good. Anyway, Coconut sweet rice is easy peasy. The kids and DH like it with mango which is pretty traditional. It's also sometimes served with ice cream which they like too. I am not a fan of ripe mangoes so I eat the rice plain. Diva requested I pack some of this in her lunch tomorrow for school.


Coconut Sweet Rice And Mango

(measurements are dependant on how much rice you have and are making)
Cooked Khao Neow (click for recipe)
1 can Unsweetened coconut milk (15 ounce can)
3-4 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
ripe mango peeled and sliced
lime zest- optional



The rice is best made when it is freshly cooked and still hot. I am unsure does that look like about three cups to you? LOL.






In a bowl mix the coconut milk,
Salt and sugar... (this CAN and is traditionally heated so the sugar dissolves but I use hot rice and it's never been grainy)






Stir it up.








Pour over the hot rice and stir. Reserve a little bit of coconut milk for garnish.









Let the rice sit to soak up some coconut milk.
Add more coconut milk if the rice looks dry and it can soak up more coconut milk.






To serve dish up some rice.







Top with sliced mango. Lime zest.
Drizzle with coconut milk mixture. Serve warm.








Give Peas A Chance Coconut Sweet Rice And Mango

About three cups of cooked Khao Neow (click for recipe), or Forbidden Rice
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (15 ounces)
3-4 tablespoons of light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
ripe mango peeled and sliced
lime zest- optional


Use hot, freshly prepared rice.
In a bowl mix the coconut milk, salt and sugar. 
Stir it up.
Pour over the hot rice and stir. Reserve a little bit of coconut milk for garnish.
Let the rice sit to soak up some coconut milk. I usually add more if the rice is dry and it looks like it can soak up more. 
To serve-
Place rice on a plate or in a bowl.
Top with sliced mango.
Lime zest.
Drizzle with coconut milk mixture. Serve warm.

Use coconut milk, don't shake the can. Spoon off the creamy top. Reserve the coconut water for smoothies.
The coconut milk mixture CAN and is traditionally heated so the sugar dissolves but I use hot rice and it's never been grainy. If this is a concern heat this in a pot over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Don't let it boil though.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I am not trying to kill you I am trying to get back at you for not posting how to make the cheesecake pops!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.