Thursday, May 22, 2008

Chimichangas

Gotta love anything that will go in a crock pot right? These are easy and best of all? Baked in the oven, so frying in hot oil. Although you could do that if you wanted to. The filling freezes well too if you happened to have leftovers.

Chimmichangas

Filling
4-5 chicken breasts
Taco seasoning
1 medium chopped onion
1 cup dry pinto beans soaked over night then drained
1 clove peeled crushed garlic
chopped green chilies- I used a small can, drained

Burrito sized tortillas
shredded cheese/ Mexican blend or Cheddar
olive oil



Place all filling ingredients into the crock pot. I didn't have beans on hand, if you do pour water over this to cover the beans. Turn it on low for 8 hours or until the beans are done.






Shred the chicken with two forks.









It soaks up the juices nicely.








Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
To assemble the chimmichangs, place some filling on the tortilla.







Add some cheese.









Roll it up once, then fold in the sides. Then roll it up the rest of the way.







Place them seam side down on a baking sheet.









Brush with oil, or I use my pump and spray bottle that I keep filled with olive oil.







Bake for 20 minutes until browned then flip over and bake for a little longer, about 10 minutes. I did make these for lunch the next day on my pizza stone and it was nice no need to turn them over at all to brown. Serve with sour cream, fresh salsa, olives and/or avocado.
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. i read your blogs all the time. i made this for dinner last week. BIG HIT! we are not a leftover family much, but we had these for lunch the next day even! so yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.