Monday, April 14, 2008

Not too pretty but oh so yummy caramel apples...

I wanted a caramel apple, I didn't want to bother with melting the caramels and what not, and I didn't want to dip slices of apples in a sauce either. I wanted a caramel apple, with minimal clean up and the ability to do one at a time, the girls and I can share one and be quite satisfied. Now the one pictured isn't pretty and that doesn't bother me, but if it bothers you feel free to cover it with peanuts or dip them the traditional way. This is the first time I have tested this method, I have melted caramel in the oven before to make little dessert cups so I didn't think it would be a total disaster.

Caramel
Apples
Sticks
Parchment paper
Butter or oil







Turn your oven on to 350 degrees. Wash and dry your apple. If you are using caramels in the little wrappers, unwrap them.





On a parchment lined baking sheet spread out your caramel. I used caramel bits, nice and easy. Spread them out in a circle about the size you would need to cover your apple when melted. If you are using squares they do spread out more than these bits.







I put my apple on there to measure.







Put it in the oven for about 5 minutes, but watch it, you don't want it overdone. The caramel will get grainy. And if you heat it too much it won't be soft and chewy.






Lightly butter the back of a spoon, or use oil. Use the spoon to smooth and spread out the caramel if you need to. A small off set spatula would work too.







Place your apple on the caramel while it's still hot and pliable.









Now just cover your apple with the caramel. It's hot so I used a kitchen towel under the parchment and just folded the parchment onto the apple and smoothed out the caramel onto it. If you want insert a stick, I usually cut our apples up to share so no need for a stick. I did take a picture of one with a stick for you though.







Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. That does look good! Yum! I hope you don't mind me copying you w/ pics of my recipes. I enjoy watching your step-by-step process. I've even made some. I made some taco last night and used your seasoning. I think I over-seasoned mine though. It was still good. I'd like to do the step-by-step with some of the recipes I have.

    Love you, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not copying me! there are a ton of great food blogs with pictures!! hope you are well

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.