Thursday, February 28, 2008

Caprese Salad

This isn't a classic Caprese salad with just the four ingredients of mozzarella, basil, tomatoes and olive oil. But it is so very good. It reminds me of summer, is it summer yet? Gorgeous, juicy, homegrown vine ripened summer tomatoes, fresh fragrant basil... sigh, I long for fresh foods. Granted I haven't been blessed with a green thumb. So I'd still have to purchase it all.


What's in this salad
Sliced tomato
Marinated bocconcini (Recipe follows)
Fresh basil leaves
Sea Salt
Fresh black pepper
Olive oil from bocconcini jar
Balsamic vinegar- just a drizzle!

Slice your tomatoes, top with the rest of the ingredients. OK that's not really a recipe, so what. It's a yummy salad.

Marinated Boncconcini (or any fresh mozzarella)
In a sterile canning jar place clean fresh Rosemary springs, sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon whole fresh peppercorns, fresh basil, dried red pepper flakes, a couple pieces of lemon zest- not small grated zest but bigger strips, cheese and olive oil. I don't cover all of the cheese with the oil, only about half way. Place lid on the jar and place in fridge, turning it often to coat the cheese. I find that my olive oil always gets congealed. But if I take the cheese out for an hour before use it's fine. Actually when I make this salad I just place the cheese with a little congealed oil stuck to it and let it sit at room temperature before serving.
If you are using a chunk of fresh mozzarella I slice it first.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks so good! I've been wanting to make this for so long, mmmm, tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jennifer! I hope you enjoy it I can't wait for SUMMER tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.