Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hand held pork pies


I am not a pastry chef, I am not a chef in general but I really am not a good baker. I have attempted pie crusts and they don't ever turn out right so Pillsbury pie crusts are my best friend. I got this idea from a magazine I was reading in the pediatricians office. Then a friend of mine gave me the magazine. After taking a closer look at the recipe I realized there were no vegetables except the onion, and no spices. The version in the magazine was bigger pies also. I made them small so Diva could take them to school for lunch. Any bigger and it would be too big a portion for either of my girls. Next time I make these I might just use my meatloaf mixture of ground veal, ground pork and ground beef.

Hand held Pork pies
3/4-1 pound ground pork (lean)
1 small onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
sea salt
garlic powder
fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp sage (dried) more if using fresh
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 beaten eggs
1 egg for egg wash
2 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, room temperature- prerolled
butter to grease muffin tin

Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with butter, inside each up and a little around the outside rims also. Preheat oven to 350 degress.

In a large bowl combine pork, onion, bell pepper, Worcestershire, sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, bread crumbs, sage and two beaten eggs, and set aside.







Unroll the dough. I used a cupcake liner as a template to cut out 12 disks, they turned out a bit too big as you can see in the picture. But in the end that was good because it gave me easier access to seal the two pieces together. Line the muffin tin cups with the pie crust.












Divide the meat mixture evenly into the muffin tin.








With remaining pie crust cut out 12 smaller circles, I found that my mason jar top was the perfect size so I used it as a template.







With the end of a cake decorator tip cut out small vent holes on each of the small disks. you can just make a slit on top the pies after you top them.






Place a small disk on top of each pie, pinch the edges to seal. Brush with egg wash and bake for 25 minutes. I inserted a meat thermometer in one of the pies because I am paranoid and 25 minutes is sufficient for the pork to be done. Let cool in tin for 5 minutes then remove carefully and cool on a cooling rack. serve warm with spiced apple sauce.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.