I apologize for these photos. They were taken quickly in the evening before dinner. This recipe for Red Beans and Rice is simple. I add carrot but I don't think that's traditional. This may not even be a traditional recipe but it's good. It also freezes well I like my beans really soft and mashed but they can be left whole.
Get some good Andouille sausage. I love it with natural casings.
Veggies sweating after the sausage was browned.
I used one ham hock, could have used two since it was small.
You can leave your beans whole.
I like them a little smooth.
Red Beans and Rice
1 lb red kidney beans, cleaned, picked, sorted and soaked in 4 cups water with 1/2 tsp salt overnight
1 lb beef or pork andouille sausage sliced
1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 stick salted butter
2 ribs celery finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped*
3-4 cloves minced garlic
3 bay leaves
6-8 cups water or chicken stock, low sodium
1 to 2 tbls Knor chicken powder
1-2 smoked ham hocks(or 1 smoked turkey leg)
Salt and black pepper
Cayenne, to taste
Creole seasoning, to taste
- Brown the sausage in a little bit of oil them remove from the pot.
- Add butter to the pot and let it melt but not brown. Then add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and carrot to the pot. Cook until almost soft and add the garlic. Scrap all the fond off the bottom and sides of the pot.
- Add the beans and the reminding ingredients. The water should cover the beans by about an inch.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce to medium low. Cover the pot and cook until the beans are tender. Stir often to keep it from scorching the bottom of the pot. Serve with rice and pickled okra.
Thank you for being here. Have a blessed day.







No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.