Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Peasreads: The God and the Gumiho by Sophie Kim



One of my favorite reads so far this year!
This story about a Korean diety (Seokga)
who has lost everything and is sent to the moral world to earn his powers and position back. His job is to catch demons that tried to help him take over as top god. He is on the hunt for a notorious gumiho. 
The Gumiho, Hani is a nine tailed fox. She is powerful, witty, smart, funny.  She inserts herself into the investigation to throw Seokga off her trail. 
These two characters are fun, snarky, smart, and determined. It's a battle between two strong characters both with everything to lose. Will they risk it all in the end? 
The flow of this book is a good steady one with some twists. In the end I was surprised. I cannot wait for the second installment.  If you like folklore, mythology, kitsune\gumiho, Asian stories read this book! I will definitely add this title to my personal library.
 

Publisher description. 

They'll do anything to outsmart each other. Anything, except fall in love.

In this delightful Korean contemporary fantasy, a fallen trickster god must pair up with a coffee-slinging, shapeshifting fox to track down a demon of darkness before it devours the mortal world.

Kim Hani - the once-terrible gumiho known as the Scarlet Fox - spends her days working at a café and trying not to let a certain customer irk her.

Seokga - a trickster god thrown from the heavens for his attempt at a coup - spends his days hunting demons and irking a particular gumiho.

When a demon of darkness escapes the underworld, and the Scarlet Fox emerges from hiding before quickly vanishing, Seokga is offered a chance at redemption: kill them both, and his sins will be forgiven.

But Hani is prepared to do anything to prevent Seokga from bringing her to justice, even trick her way into his investigation. Anything, that is - except fall in love . . . 

Find more book reviews here under Peasreads.

Amazon reviews Katereviews.

Goodreads reviews.
I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher. I was under no obligation to give a review. All opinions are my own. I am disclosing this per the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.