Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Accidental Ginger Carrot Muffins

These muffins came about because DH made a mistake. He was helping me in the kitchen, grating carrots. He had the grater attachment on backwards on the food processor and the carrots looked like they had gone through a blender. I couldn't use them for the salad I was making. I had to use them for something so I decided to make some muffins. I actually wrote down my measurements, except for the spices! I forgot to weigh the molasses though. These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, crystallized ginger pieces, carrot, and molasses. The muffins are filled with a spiced cream cheese. For being whole wheat they are still tender and moist. I used a multi grain hot cereal that has rolled oats, rye, barley and wheat . Regular rolled oats would work also.

Ginger Carrot Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour (5 oz)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (5 oz)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 c brown sugar- packed (6 oz)
1/2 c sugar (4 oz)
1 c vegetable oil, or coconut oil (6-3/4 oz)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons molasses  
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 c sour cream (2-5/8 oz)  (next time I'll increase this to 1/2 cup and decrease the amount of oil)
1 block cream cheese, softened (8 oz)
5 3/8 ounces grated carrot-  (about 1- 1/2 cups)
1/2 c multi grain hot cereal- or rolled oats.  (3 5/8 oz)
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger- chopped (optional)
crystallized ginger for garnish

Spices I didn't measure, but here are approximate measurements. All spices are ground
For the batter-
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon all spice

For the cream cheese-
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon all spice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and batter spices in a medium sized bowl. Add sugars, oil, eggs, sour cream, molasses and vanilla. Mix until combined. Stir in carrots, ginger and cereal.


Mix cream cheese with spices. 
Fill muffin tin cups half way,  put some cream cheese in the middle and top with more batter. Sprinkle tops with more crystallized ginger.
I baked these for 20 minutes.
*Have you entered the giveaways? Check on the left side tool bar for all links! Thank you!*
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Great to see something good coming out of a culinary accident! Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "mistake" looks pretty tasty! I will try these out! Printing out and pinning the recipe!
    Maria
    www.musicteachingandparenting.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.