Monday, November 29, 2010

Collard Greens in the Crock Pot

WOOO HOOO! Crock pot WIN! It's about time right!? I usually make my greens in a pot, but I thought I would try the crock pot. These were perfect! Except a little too spicy for my girls which was too bed because Diva love greens.  I  make my greens with either bacon or salt pork just depending on what I have on hand.
Salt pork
2 pounds Collard Greens- washed, tough stems removed and leaves sliced
1 small onion chopped
1-2 pickled jalapenos 
1-2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno juice
Chicken broth/stock or water

Cut the salt pork into cubes (or the bacon into bite sized pieces) and chop the onion.



Sear the salt pork just to render some of the fat. Put the pork in the crock pot and cook the onions in the rendered fat.
Put the onions in the crock pot too. (Set the crock pot on high.)



Poor a little stock/broth/water in the pan to deglaze it, use a spoon and get all that flavor off the bottom. Pour that into the crock pot.

Put the greens, jalapenos and jalapeno juice in the crock pot. I had carrots in my pickled jalapenos so I put some in there also. Pour the remaining liquid over the top. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high, until tender. Or on low for longer.

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. You take the penguin out first?

    I knew I was doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Libby you'll have to try again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.