Wednesday, January 6, 2010

This blog.

I've been thinking a lot about this blog. Why it was started. How much time it takes to post- sometimes not time at all and sometimes it takes a while. How far behind I am.
I started Give Peas A Chance for my girls. I started photographing and recording recipes, old favorites and new so that I could put them in a book for the girls. A cookbook of recipes they grew up with, complete with pictures not only of the food itself but of them helping out in the kitchen, stories of when the dish was served etc, a keepsake. Originally I thought it would be one of those off to college gifts or something, so really I have plenty of time- right? The thing is the current book that hasn't been updated for almost a year is 500 pages. Do you know how much it costs to print a nice color, bound photo/cookbook? EEK. (If you know of different sites to print photo books please feel free to spam me in the comments section.)
So here I sit, 500 pages, done. Needs to be cleaned up and edited, but still. I have a large amount I am behind on. I think I should just print as I finish the books.  Maybe break it down, 200 pages at a time. The thing is, I have neglected the girls book- OK and their scrapbooks too. That defeats the purpose of this blog.
I love having this blog as an outlet and the friends I have met through it. I am just not sure how much more I can put into this knowing the purpose of it all has been left on the back burner. Should I scale back? Put the blog on hold? Start a new one, blogging just as I would if I were printing so I CAN upload and print the whole blog? I don't know.
I tried uploading the whole blog to just print as is, just to see how much it would cost well the blogs too big. HA HA.
Any ideas for me here? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks for reading this far and for reading this simple little blog, that started out as an organizational tool and place to share my loves.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. If you keep the digital copies around, backed up and the backups backed up etc. ... you can pick and choose what to put in the bound book(s). Best of the best type stuff. If you want it to be mostly a cookbook, stick to the recipes and photos, and use the stories and pics of the girls as insets, little featurettes interspersed throughout the book. What you're doing is precious! I love the blog and all the ideas I get from it. But if it's taking up more than its fair share of time, by all means cut back. It shouldn't take over your life; it should be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope someone has a solution to your problem b/c i have the same issue. i started a blog for my baby and here i am two years later with all these amazing pictures on my blog and no way to print it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beau try Blurb.com that's what I am trying to use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of Tastebook? It might be worth looking in to.
    I can only speak for myself, but if you made it an option I would absolutely buy a copy of your cookbook. Selling some might help fund the printing of the ones for your girls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used blurb.com to print out the blog that I kept while on a mission trip 2 years ago. Actually, my Dad surprised me with the blurb book after I got back! I love it, the price was reasonable, and others in my group were also able to order copies.

    I think printing it out in chunks makes more sense than printing out all at once. You could print a number of pagess (say, 100 or 200), or do one book per year. That would also help simplify future blog printing.

    I love your blog and I know your girls will really appreciate it when they grow up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.