Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Basic Semi Organic Yogurt


This is a very basic yogurt recipe that I tweaked to make creamier. The only reason I started making yogurt is that organic yogurt is so expensive and hard to find around here. DH and the girls use it to make fruit smoothies, the girls also eat it for breakfast and it's easier for me to control the amount of honey and fruit that goes into it. It's less processed than store bought. I call it semi-organic because I don't use organic dry milk powder.
I use a Salton yogurt maker. I picked this model because I can use my mason jars for the yogurt, instead of heating a plastic container for hours on end.

Basic Yogurt
3 1/2 cups Organic milk
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
1/2 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use Stonyfield Organic plain)

In about 1/2 cup of milk dissolve the dry milk powder put it into a sauce pan, add the rest of the milk and heavy cream. Heat over medium heat to just steaming and stir frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm. Pre warm yogurt maker while milk cools. In a measuring cup GENTLY mix a little bit of milk mixture and the yogurt, then add it to the rest of the milk mixture. Pour this all into a mason jar, put it into the yogurt maker and let it process undisturbed and out of drafts for 4-10 hours. I usually do 5 hours. Chill yogurt in mason jar for at least 2 hours. The yogurt will be partially set and will continue to thicken in the fridge.
Remove 1/2 cup of yogurt for your next batch to use as a starter before adding any fruit, honey etc.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.