Friday, December 25, 2020

Perfect Ginger Cookies

 These cookies are an old favorite. They are a little bit different than the Chewy Ginger Molasses cookies I have shared before. That post is a mess by the way and I need to update it. These cookies have a crispy edge but chewy center that still snaps. I think they are perfect. To give these cookies that crispy edge I use shortening, then I added butter for a chewy centers. You can use all butter but you'll have a softer cookie. All shortening will give you a crispy cookie. For the sugars I used both brown and granulated, I have two measurements for the granulated sugar because we like a less sweet cookie. These can be rolled in cinnamon sugar or in powdered sugar. The granulated cinnamon sugar will give you more of a caramelized crunch, the powdered sugar will give you a pretty crinkle cookie look.


Perfect Ginger Cookies

1/2 cup (91 gr) butter flavored shortening *

1/4 cup (60 gr) unsalted butter (*or use 76 gr each of butter and shortening for a softer cookie with snap) 

3/4 cup (174 gr) granulated sugar/ 1/2 cup (100gr) for a less sweet cookie

1/4 cup (48 gr) brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 large egg

1/3 cup (113gr) molasses

2-1/3 cups (276 gr) All- Purpose flour

1.5 teaspoons ground ginger powder

1/2 teaspoon cloves

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger

Optional coating 

1/4 cup (50gr) granulated sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

Optional coating #2

1/4 cup granulated sugar

powdered sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment.
  2. Beat shortening, butter, sugars, salt, baking soda together.
  3. Beat in egg.
  4. Beat in molasses.
  5. Add flour and spices. 
  6. Stir in crystallized ginger.
  7. If coating the cookies, drop by one teaspoon cookie scoop into the cinnamon sugar mixture and bake on a cookie sheet. If using option two you can chill the dough for about an hour or so, then scoop. Roll each ball into the granulated sugar, then into the powdered sugar. Bake as stated below.
  8. Using a teaspoon drop cookie dough onto baking sheets about 1 inch apart. They will spread.
  9. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Cool on a baking sheet. Bake for a minute longer for crispier cookies. 

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.