Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Blue Box Mac and Cheese (Instant Pot)


 So, I grew up eating boxed Mac and Cheese. It was an "American" food, so my mom didn't make it from scratch. It's still a comfort food for me. My youngest however, LOVES THIS STUFF. She really does. We have it about once every other month at most, but it's still a treat. We all like it really. It's so easy to follow the instructions on the box and do this on the stove top, but if you have an Instant Pot. I'm going to save you the trouble of washing a colander also. Because you won't need to drain this at all. I have done up to two boxes in my Instant Pot using a method that someone posted on the Instant Pot Community page. It's just so simple.


Add the ingredients listed on the box, plus water...


You don't really even need to stir anything at this point. Just set the Instant Pot and wait for the cooking to finish. *Edited to add that stirring to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom helps.


NOW, this picture above is a NO NO. It says so in the Instant Pot manual. Well, this picture isn't violating use yet. But the manual clearly says to not cover the vent. I don't cover it. I haven't had this spew orange liquid all over my kitchen when I release the pressure. BUT, just in case I hold a towel with tongs over the vent. Not on top, just over it. Haven't had any issues yet. OH, the Instant Pot manual does say not to cook pasta. So if that makes you uncomfortable, you shouldn't do this. The consensus is that you can do pasta if you don't try to quick release the pressure right away (Cause a spewing of starchy pasta water. )OR that you don't fill it anywhere near the pressure cooking MAX line. Two boxes of mac and cheese will not even get you close to that max line.


Once your timer has gone off, wait a few minutes. Release the pressure slowly. I have done this by putting a spatula handle, or using tongs to gently tilt the vent knob up. Once most of the pressure is release, turn the knob to fully release. TA-DA! DONE. 

I should also say that I haven't tried this method with the bunny box of mac and cheese. I suspect I could, but I didn't have any on hand. But if you do, let me know.

Instant Pot Boxed Macaroni and Cheese

1 box of blue box Macaroni and Cheese (7.25 ounce I believe is the size on the box)
Ingredients needed to prepare the Mac and Cheese as per box instructions (NOT including the water to boil the pasta, you don't need to boil the pasta first)
1.5 cups water, total

  1. Place the 1.5 cups of water and the milk into the Instant Pot liner.
  2. Add the dry pasta and stir.
  3. Add butter and cheese powder.
  4. Close the lid, make sure the vent is sealed.
  5. Select MANUAL, HIGH pressure, set the time for TWO minutes.
  6. Once the cook time is done, wait 2-3 minutes and release the pressure, carefully.
  7. Stir well and serve.


Pin It!

3 comments:

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.