Thursday, December 3, 2015

Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup with Kale and Goat Cheese Salad

Crock pot Butternut Squash soup with Maple roasted chickpeas with a Kale, beet, and goat cheese salad.
Soups on! Yes, I know again. This one's for me. My family will eat it, but they don't love it. *Lucky me it freezes well in portions. Just enough for me, and my eldest child. Can't win them all folks. I am blessed that my family will eat what I put on the table, but I really want them to love it all. HAHA. Tall order right? That's okay, lets make some soup. In the slow cooker even, imagine that.I topped this soup with Roasted Chickpeas that I tossed with a little maple syrup before roasting.
*Update, my kid's love Delicata squash, so try a different variety of squash to suit your taste. Yay!!!


This salad is not whole 30 or paleo because of the cheese. But it's darn good. So if you can have dairy, try it!!

Also you can make this on the stove top also, saute ingredients like the Instant Pot recipe instructs, then simmer until squash is tender.


Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-2 inch pieces*
1 tablespoon butter or ghee
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 granny smith apple, cored and chopped (peeled if desired)
stock
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
1/4-1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
Salt
Pepper
  1. Put everything in the slow cooker. 
  2. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  3. Blend the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender.
  4. Serve with sour cream or heavy cream, if desired.
*Optional- saute onion, garlic, and carrots and transfer to slow cooker before adding all ingredients and cooking.
*Save your butternut squash seeds! They are yummy roasted!
*If you are using Pumpkin Pie Spice you can omit the nutmeg.

Kale and Goat Cheese Salad

Goat cheese
Baby kale
Salad greens
Greek Salad Vinaigrette
Fresh cracked black pepper

Toss.
Serve.
:)

Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-2 inch pieces*
1 tablespoon butter or ghee (or Olive oil)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 granny smith apple, cored and chopped (peeled if desired)
stock
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or Pumpkin Pie spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg*
1/4-1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
Salt
Pepper
  1. Sautee onion, garlic, and carrots with the ghee in saute mode.
  2. Pour the stock in and scrape off the bottom of the pot.
  3. Put remaining ingredients in the Instant Pot. 
  4. Press the soup button, 15 minutes.
  5. Blend the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches using a blender.
  6. Serve with sour cream or heavy cream, if desired.
Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.