Monday, October 29, 2012

GPAC Salted Caramel Sauce



Oh (hurricane) Sandy. Just go away already. We still have power right now. I shouldn't have said that. Oh well. It's cold, wet, and windy. I made it to the post office and the drug store. Now we're hanging out watching The Chronicles of Narnia- The Lion,the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I decided to make a Salted Caramel Sauce for the girls to dip their apples in. It's so good we burnt our tongues eating it, it's cooled down now and is warm, but it's almost all gone. It would be good with graham crackers and on top of ice cream. Drizzled on cupcakes too. I dropped off the jar and apples in the picture to our neighbors quick like, so just bakers twine and a mommy card.
This caramel sauce is very easy to make. I didn't use a candy thermometer. Just basic ingredients, and maybe 10 minutes and you're done.

GPAC Salted Caramel Sauce

Makes approx 2 1/2- 2 3/4 cups
13 tablespoons of butter
2 cups sugar, white or brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream

In a heavy bottomed pot (see note below) combine the butter and sugar over high heat. Cook until the butter is melted and the sugar is incorporated. It will look thick.
Cook the sugar without stirring until it is just starting to turn a light golden brown. The sugar will start to melt at this point. 
Stir gently until the sugar is a light caramel color- too dark and you'll have  caramels, not that there's anything wrong with that. 
Turn off the heat, add the vanilla, and salt. Slowly and carefully stir in the cream. Transfer the sauce to a glass container. Store in the refrigerator. Reheat as needed if it gets hard. Or just scoop it out with a spoon and eat it.
*Always use a pot that is BIGGER than you think you'll need when working with caramel. Trust me on this one. A heavy bottom pan is mostly for more even heating, so use what you have.

 Crazy how butter and sugar can turn into this goodness...
 mmm, caramel-y goodness.
 Careful whisking in the vanilla and cream! The caramel is HOT.

 How are you all doing? Fall is here, do any of you go apple picking or have "must do" fall traditions?
Also if you're in the storms path stay safe! Make wise choices!


Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. Shut the front door! Salted caramel SAUCE? NOMMMMM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm here for YOU Bobby, now start blogging more!

      Delete
  2. That does sound very yummy! I love caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so doing this, I have all of the ingredients and three apples in the house just calling for this. The hurricane coming through has made me feel like I need to make good use of my electricity while I still have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this, it's yummy and frighteningly easy. I will try to remember to get my whisk out before I put the cream and vanilla in next time...it is definitely needed to get the sugar and cream to combine...my spatula was not going to do the trick! Planning to post it on my blog soon and I'll be linking back to you for the full recipe!

      Delete
    2. Scary easy it would be better if it were not easy to make for our bodies! thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Yumm!!!!! That sounds and looks soooo delicious!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday linky party!
    Jenny
    www.inthekitchenwithjenny.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.