Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Nuts and Bolts

 Candied Jalapenos. Sweet. Spicy. So tasty.
I call these nuts and bolts because the addition of carrots reminds me of of nuts and bolts. These are so good. I ate half a jar in once sitting at dinner this week. I kid you not. It IS sweet, I mean they are candied after all. But there's still a kick. I would love even more of a spicy kick, so maybe habaneros next time in the mix. These are so good. I had them with chicken, but eating them out of the jar plain wouldn't be an issue. Well, maybe if I wasn't trying to polish off a jar at a time. They would be great on burgers, cupcakes, spice up a fruit pizza, with cheese. You must make these, you don't even have to process them to can them. Just make them, and put them in a jar in the fridge.
I've been away because we had a storm and didn't have power. I did get some canning done though, I have a gas stove! Thank goodness, because I had frozen some fruit we had picked for smoothies.
*I've made these again. With less sugar than called for (just half the amount) and I added Cherry peppers and Habaneros - really like 15 of them, they mellowed out in the sugar. I'll try to post a picture soon!


Sweet and Spicy Nuts and Bolts

(Candied Jalapeno and Carrot)
1 1/2 pound jalapenos

2-3 large carrots
1/2- 1 cinnamon stick
1- 2 cups sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

If you are going to can these you will need 6-7 eight ounce canning jars (Half pint). Boil the jars for 10 minutes, along with your funnel, and ladle. Leave everything in the hot water. Toss the rings and jar lids in this pot.

Wash and slice the jalapenos into rings, about 1/4 of an inch thick. Discard the stems. Peel and slice the carrots the same thickness. In a large pot heat the cinnamon, sugar, vinegar, and lemon juice. Let this come to a boil. Continue heating and stirring for 5-6 minutes. Add the jalapenos and carrots, cook for another 3-5 minutes.

With jar tongs, pull out the jars, and pour out any water that is in them. Set them on a clean dishcloth on the counter, opening up (obviously). Fill the jars with the candied jalapenos. Ladle the sugar mixture into the jars to evenly distribute it. Top off each jar with a the lids. Once cool store these in the refrigerator.

For canning, when filling the jars leave 1/2 inch at the top for expansion.
Wipe the rims of the jars with a damp paper towel, to clean off any syrup on them. Top each jar with the clean lids. Take the rings and put them on the jars, closing them "finger tight", just barley tight. They need to be loose enough for air to escape during the canning process. Put the jars right side up in the pot you used to boil everything. I line my pot with a clean folded dish cloth first. Make sure the jars are 1 inch under water. Bring the pot to a boil, once boiling set a timer for 10 minutes. At the end of 10 minutes, turn off the pot. Let the jars sit in the pot for 5 minutes. Remove the jars carefully with tongs, set them on the dish cloth (I use a dish cloth so nothing slides or shatters on the counter top).

Let the jars cool on the counter top completely. Run your finger over the tops of the jars to make sure the seals are flexed down. At this point I remove the rings, dry them, then screw them back on. Label each jar. Store in a cool dry place for a year. Once opened, these should be refrigerated.

I used several recipes combined for this, but here are the sources.
Jalapeno Maddness
NOLA.com
Serious Eats

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Sébastien wants to try canning stuff. I'm going to show him this post :)

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.