Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chocolate Nutella Mug Cake (revisited)

I have tried mug cakes and brownies before. Total fail. I blogged a post about them a year or so ago. They are dry, tasteless and just not really cake or brownie. Rubbery sometimes. I thought I would try again. I used this recipe posted HERE. I made the recipe exactly. No substitutes. Nothing extra etc. The result?  This-


Beautiful right? It looks delish. Overflowing mug of hot, decadent chocolate cake with nutella. Yeah, not so much. See that girl on the mug? She's weeping because the cake was not good at ALL. It was dry, tough, rubbery, flavorless. I even under baked it. Cooked it for only half the time. Ok, so what, she's weeping because she's on stacked mattresses and there's a pea underneath, but moving on. Someone suggested less flour. So I gave it another go.  I changed the recipe. The result was a flavorful, gooey but not raw gooey treat. Was it cake? No. Brownie? No. Still chocolaty and satisfies the I need chewy, gluteny, chocolatey goodness tooth. The picture posted up top with the baby on the mug is what came out of the microwave. So it didn't rise as high as the other recipe but that was ok for me.
Nutella Mug Cake
2 tablespoons of self rising flour- not packed tight
3 tablespoons BROWN sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
3-4 tablespoons nutella
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons coconut oil- vegetable oil works also
1 tablespoon chocolate chips- optional
1 tablespoon nuts- optional
Mix all dry ingredients in the mug. (You need a good sized mug, the ones I used were 12 ounces I believe).
Add remaining ingredients and mix well with a fork until smooth. Add nuts and chocolate chips and stir well if using. Place it in the microwave and cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Cooking time will vary with your microwave but this worked for mine. 









Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Huh, I made the first cake you linked just last night and it was really good (I decreased the sugar to 3T, and will probably drop it down another 1/2-1T next time I make it). Moist, full of yummy Nutella flavor, super easy, and ready in just minutes (I do agree that it's not really cake or Brownie, but more pudding (of the real variety not the Jello/custard kind)). Variances in microwaves (and in the type of mug used) are probably somewhat to blame, after all, when it only takes 1.5 minutes to cook all of the little things are amplified I suppose. I will probably try your version too, but I didn't hate the first one you linked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli! I might try dropping some sugar too. it was sweet thanks for letting me know you tried it! Maybe less sugar more Nutella, can't go wrong with more nutella right? lo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.