Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Beef and barley stew


 It's been so crazy, we had a snowstorm (last week of January) and for some reason that just goes hand in hand with power outages around here. This is beef and barley stew made with leftovers. I had a pot roast with carrots, onion, potatoes and fennel. It was so good. I used a eye chuck roast. Put everything in the crock pot with seasoned salt. Turned it on and left it all day. That night our power went out.  I was glad I'd have leftovers to heat up. I put perishables outside in the snow in coolers to keep the food cool. It was so cold in the house though, so I wanted to cook something to warm us and the house up. Thank God for a gas stove! This was so good. I told Pixie it was a kind of rice, she ate it right up.
If you think ahead you can soak the barley in cold water overnight, 2:1 ratio water:barley. I had some turkey consume in the freezer so I used that and a carton of stock from the pantry plus water to make 10 cups of liquid total.
GPAC Beef and Barley Stew
8-10 cups stock/broth
1/2 cup uncooked barley
leftover pot roast- beef, potatoes, carrots and fennel, including any juices/drippings 
2 stalks of celery cut into bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste (optional)
 Garnish- parsley
Rinse the barley and pick over to remove any debris.  Bring stock/broth to a boil in a dutch oven or soup pot. Add the barley. Bring back up to a boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to a simmer. 
If the barley was not soaked simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the celery and cook for 15-20 minutes more or until the barley is tender. Stir in spices, seasonings, shredded beef, vegetables and pot roast juices. Heat through. Taste and adjust seasonings. 
If the barley was soaked overnight add celery, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce to the pot. Simmer and cook 15-20 minutes until the barley is tender. Stir in shredded beef, vegetables and pot roast juices- cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.





Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. You must live somewhere near me! Snow almost always means power outages here. Then again, so does wind. Why they ever decided to keep the power lines above ground in Washington is beyond me! We are all electric here though, so when our power goes out it sandwiches or the in-laws house for me. The stew looks great! I LOVE beef barley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?!? so crazy in such a busy area too!

      Delete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.