Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Beef with Onions and Mushrooms (Salisbury Steak)


 

 Whatever you call it it's good comfort food. Incidentally, I searched comfort for fun here on Give Peas a Chance and I'm thinking I have too many "comfort foods" and that may be why my jeans were snug when I tried them on recently. *groan*. 
 I try my best to give measurements accurately but I don't generally cook with measuring utensils. You've been warned. That being said you should definitely try this. It's a favorite around here. This recipe is basically here, with improvements.

All purpose flour
Seasoning salt (Lawry's)
Black pepper
Olive oil
Hamburger patties (frozen) -I also had cubed steak and it just wasn't tender enough for us.
8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
1 onion sliced
4 ish tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons worchestershire 
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 cups beef/chicken broth or beef consume
Splash of  Brandy
Season meat with salt and pepper, these were the cubed steaks, I did the hamburger patties after. Set aside.

Heat oil in an oven safe skillet/cast iron pan or dutch oven. Cook the garlic and mushrooms soft. Remove from the skillet. Add more oil and reheat the skillet. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.





Season flour in a pie plate or shallow bowl with seasoning salt. Dredge the meat in the flour. GENTLY shake off excess. Reserve the flour mixture.




Brown the meat and set it aside with the mushrooms. You may have to do it in batches. Brown the onions just slightly and remove from the skillet.





In the same skillet melt the butter. With a wooden spoon scrape off some of the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Add some of the reserved flour mixture from dredging (4 tablespoons). Mix the flour and butter, cook until the flour smells nutty and not like raw flour anymore. Stir in broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire, pepper, and Brandy.  Cook until slightly thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.


Put the meat, mushrooms, onions and any rendered juices back into the skillet. Place skillet into the oven. Bake uncovered until the meat is tender 45 minutes-ish.






YUM.



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.