Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread

 OK so I LOVE pumpkin and fall brings pumpkin, nice fresh, sweet pie pumpkins. BUT I also love fresh cranberries. This bread is a wonderful quick bread. The cranberries give it some tang and beautiful color. The orange makes it fresh and fragrant. So festive. I didn't add nuts because Diva can't have walnuts, I love this with walnuts though. I doubled the recipe so if my pictures look like I'm over measuring that's why.

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread-

2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 c. butter softened- I prefer unsalted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest from one orange
3/4 c. juice from orange plus orange juice if needed
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 c. fresh cranberries, chopped
1/2 c. chopped nuts; optional
(When using frozen cranberries, thaw them first)

 Preheat oven to  350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Wash the cranberries. Pulse in the food processor. NOT long, you don't want a puree.


 See? Not too much in the food processor. Trust me. 2-3 pulses.




Zest the orange, juice it and add enough orange juice (bottled or whatever) to make it 3/4 cups.


Put the eggs, vanilla (that's vanilla in there), orange juice, butter and sugar in a mixer and beat well. Or mix by hand.)

See? Mix it up.


Add flour mixture and mix until combined.
Stir in cranberries and nuts.

Pour into a greased loaf pan or 4 mini pans. (perfect for gift giving)


Bake 45-65 depending on the size of the pans.
I set the timer at 40 minutes and started testing with toothpicks. This loaf was done at around 43 ish minutes.
Muffins-  Bake for 18-22 minutes at 375 degrees
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Cranberry season! Actually I have no idea when cranberry season is - but it's definitely cranberry eating season!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.