Monday, July 26, 2010

Cherry Vanilla Limeade

It's been HOT here. I'm talking Scottsdale Arizona hot. 100's, even in the evening. So, I thought I would make some limeades. Limes are about 25-33 cents in most grocery stores including the commissary around here. At the Asian market they are 10 for a dollar. Vine ripe tomatoes are 69 cents a pound. It's amazing the price differences for produce, herbs and meats. Go figure. 
Anyway. Limeade, refreshing and ice cold. Just perfect on a hot day. When I was a little girl my mom would make fresh limeade for us on hot summer days. She would work out in her garden and come in to squeeze limes and make us this sweet tart refreshing drink. This is my take on simple limeade. I used fresh cherries, I couldn't bring myself to use processed maraschinos when fresh cherries were in season. But use what you like best.


Give Peas A Chance Cherry Vanilla Limeade

1 cup water
3/4 raw sugar/granulated sugar/evaporated cane juice
3/4 vanilla bean paste
Zest of one lime- in strips

Cherries
Limes
Water
Ice
 
First I made a simple syrup with 1 cup of water, 3/4 cup raw sugar, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste and the zest of one lime in strips. Bring this to a boil until the sugar is dissolved. You can use any sweetener, agave nectar if you want. Remove from heat, discard the lime zest and chill the syrup.


 To make limeade you need fresh lime juice, the simple syrup, water, cherries and ice. Everything to taste. Put a few pitted cherries and muddle them in a glass, like you would mint of a mojito. You can press them to the side of the glass with a fork also. Or make a mint limeade with fresh mint leaves and omit the cherries. Mix fresh lime juice, water and syrup to taste. Serve over ice. I know, this is not a recipe, but it really is that simple.
Garnish with mint or cherries and serve.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.