Friday, July 30, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes


I'm on a breakfast food kick. I love all purpose flour pancakes, I love whole grain ones also but there is just something about the soft AP ones. These are light and fluffy. I don't know how many batches of pancakes I made my family eat trying to get enough rise on these. I am however certain that the trial period is part of the reason I'm going to be seeing more of my treadmill. Still worth it.
I generally prefer breakfast foods later in the day- well except for bacon, I can eat bacon anytime of the day.
I have made pancakes with sour cream, yogurt and even mascarpone and they were all good- just not as light so I used buttermilk for these. I wish I could find some real buttermilk but it's rare unless you have you own cow or source. Half the time I just sour the milk with vinegar, lemon or lime juice. Sometimes buttermilk powder.  If you do have buttermilk and don't use it all, freeze it in an ice cube tray. You'll have portions of it to use when needed. This is perfect for coconut milk also!

GPAC Buttermilk Pancakes

2 cups all purpose flour (unbleached) 
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cup buttermilk, or soured milk
5 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs beaten
(optional- fold in chocolate chips or fruit, add any of these to spice things up- freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest, pie spices, ground ginger, ginger chips and molasses)
Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl, gently/lightly stir in wet ingredients until there are not BIG lumps. Don't over stir.
Cook on a hot griddle -seasoned/lightly oiled. Test the griddle/pan by adding a drop of water. If it sizzles and bounces off the surface it's hot enough.
I used about 1/4 cup of batter, cooked the first side until you get bubbles on the edges. Flip them over and cook the other side.



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.